LegacyGT.com

intercooler heat shields

SSpeed

I remember some heat shield posts where people built shields for the intercoolers, but can't find them for the life of me....

I was looking at it tonight and thinking I'd want to tie to the transmission and then come around the side of the intercooler.... At first I was looking to tie to the turbo and come up around the side of the intercooler, but then I wondered if I'd be directing heat to the intercooler rather than around it....

I'd like to see some pics of heat shields for the intercooler that others have made..

I remember some heat shield posts where people built shields for the intercoolers, but can't find them for the life of me....

I was looking at it tonight and thinking I'd want to tie to the transmission and then come around the side of the intercooler.... At first I was looking to tie to the turbo and come up around the side of the intercooler, but then I wondered if I'd be directing heat to the intercooler rather than around it....

I'd like to see some pics of heat shields for the intercooler that others have made..

I'm not sure I've seen any intercooler heat shield posts myself. But I have tried a variety of things.

Number one is to make sure the turbo is shielded. I cut mine minimally when I first installed the Cobb DP. Then again when I installed my AVO380, both times keeping the shield as effectively close to stock as possible.

Next I layered HD aluminum foil and used HVAC aluminum tape to secure it to the (in my case) stock TMIC and then Perrin TMIC's endtanks, making sure it didn't impede airflow.

While I haven't used one, a turbo "blanket" may be the best option. I guess I just worry about the turbo's life expectancy with one.

That is about all that can be done, IMO, without affecting other air and drainage dynamics. Heatsoak primarily results from rising air when you're sitting still. When you're moving, the air is sucked through the hood scoop and drawn underneath the car, assuming you have retained the engine covers top and bottom. Any radiant energy is largely blocked by the turbo's heat shield, and in my case by the pretty effective heat shield on the TMIC that I've fabricated. There hasn't been a time when, after driving normally, I've checked the TMIC and found it other than cooler than I expected.

Thanks SeeeeeYa... heat shielding while idling is exactly what I'm looking for... do you have pics of what you've done? Even on hot days my IC feels cool on the outlet side after driving, but sitting at a light it is very hot...

you cant see much here from the pic but here is my effort (edit i'll see about pulling the car out and getting a better pic

part 1 lies under the stock cut heatshield and its a SS clamshell that i made that separates the hot side from the cold side and has a layer of exhaust wrap sandwiched in (not wrapped so i highly doubt cracking pr premature wear because there is an air gap

part 2 is 2 sheets of thin SS with a single sheet of the aluminized wrap sandwiched between that bolts to the DP o2 bung

between the 2 i would imagine that radiant heat is cut down big time on my perrin tmic

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j292/yota924x4/DSC_1310.jpg

Thanks SeeeeeYa... heat shielding while idling is exactly what I'm looking for... do you have pics of what you've done? Even on hot days my IC feels cool on the outlet side after driving, but sitting at a light it is very hot...

I hear you. It was sitting in line waiting for my turn at the autox course that first made heatsoak maddening for me. After trying spraying water without success all that ever worked for me was a layer of crushed ice, an impractical solution on the street.

I think one of those oval sprayers for FMICs I've seen that spray CO2 would be the only solution I can see worth the effort. Water did almost nothing for me. The upward movement of hot air simply cannot be changed.

Thanks for the pics wrx034me... I hadn't thought of using the wideband bung for a heatshield, that's a great idea, is it secured only in one place? Does it rattle?

SeeeeeeYa, I'd also thought of a slim fan for the back of the IC, tripped by a heat switch, but there isn't much room between the IC and the connectors that are back there, plus that could hurt flow once you are headed down the road.

Thanks for the pics wrx034me... I hadn't thought of using the wideband bung for a heatshield, that's a great idea, is it secured only in one place? Does it rattle?

SeeeeeeYa, I'd also thought of a slim fan for the back of the IC, tripped by a heat switch, but there isn't much room between the IC and the connectors that are back there, plus that could hurt flow once you are headed down the road.

Others have thought of a fan, and came to your conclusion.

I never mentioned the heatshield at my downpipe, I have it covered, again by multiple layered HD aluminum foil just shaped by hand to fit, quick, easy and works. I have a WB O2 so I use the bung, with the foil everywhere except there. And while it isn't in the category of shielding the TMIC from radiant heat, I have a shield around the Cobb DP that shields my CV boot from that energy. Additionally, I have covered the cabin wall in the DP area with HVAC aluminum tape.

FWIW, I got the idea of aluminum foil as a heatshield from a post I read a long time ago, made by a guy who wrapped his headers with it and for whom it worked well for years. Makes sense if you think about it, though it isn't an 'elegant' method perhaps. I've had the foil on my downpipe for two+ years now and it doesn't degrade whatsoever in the heat.

Others have thought of a fan, and came to your conclusion.

I never mentioned the heatshield at my downpipe, I have it covered, again by multiple layered HD aluminum foil just shaped by hand to fit, quick, easy and works. I have a WB O2 so I use the bung, with the foil everywhere except there. And while it isn't in the category of shielding the TMIC from radiant heat, I have a shield around the Cobb DP that shields my CV boot from that energy. Additionally, I have covered the cabin wall in the DP area with HVAC aluminum tape.

FWIW, I got the idea of aluminum foil as a heatshield from a post I read a long time ago, made by a guy who wrapped his headers with it and for whom it worked well for years. Makes sense if you think about it, though it isn't an 'elegant' method perhaps. I've had the foil on my downpipe for two+ years now and it doesn't degrade whatsoever in the heat.

I'll have to check out the aluminum foil stuff.. I also have a shield for the CV boot as I noticed it oozing grease, even with the stock setup... My heatshield though is an old license plate... looks cheap as heck, but the metal is about the perfect thickness and the raised letters keep most of the heatshield off of the pipe...

I'll have to check out the aluminum foil stuff.. I also have a shield for the CV boot as I noticed it oozing grease, even with the stock setup... My heatshield though is an old license plate... looks cheap as heck, but the metal is about the perfect thickness and the raised letters keep most of the heatshield off of the pipe...

Good thinking. Subarus of all kinds are vulnerable in that area. I figured an unshielded DP would cook it in even less time, thus my shield. I've had to repair my Subie's CV joints in the past because of this. In checking mine every now and then the boot is still nice and compliant. You did good.

SeeeeeYa, protecting the cv boot is a good idea although I may run to Lowes and get a sheet of aluminum used for house ducting and cut/bend it to fit since I don't have any old license plates laying around.

I'm thinking of getting some of this Aluminized Heat Barrier for the turbo side of the my TMIC to cut down on the heat soak. Only thing is it seems kind of like glorified aluminum foil with sticky tact on the back so I may just do the aluminum foil thing instead.

The Ridiculousness is no more :( But you can have your very own piece of it. **The Ridiculous Part Out.** :D

SeeeeeYa, protecting the cv boot is a good idea although I may run to Lowes and get a sheet of aluminum used for house ducting and cut/bend it to fit since I don't have any old license plates laying around.

I'm thinking of getting some of this Aluminized Heat Barrier for the turbo side of the my TMIC to cut down on the heat soak. Only thing is it seems kind of like glorified aluminum foil with sticky tact on the back so I may just do the aluminum foil thing instead.

:) I got my aluminum at Lowes as well. One bolt on the tranny, encircled DP, and another bolt on the turbo HS. It's a little more complicated than that, but it works great. However you do it, it is a good thing to do.

For the TMIC, there isn't much but the endtank over the turbo that can be insulated, but it's better than nothing.

For the TMIC, there isn't much but the endtank over the turbo that can be insulated, but it's better than nothing.

I had thought of running the aluminum down the side of the turbo (where the stock heat shield used to connect to the transmission) and then coming straight up to the intercooler with a bend to go outside of the intercooler... I'm just worried about getting it secure enough that it won't rattle...

It's too bad there isn't a real market for heatshields such as that... they are grossly needed with the TMIC...

It's too bad there isn't a real market for heatshields such as that... they are grossly needed with the TMIC...
There is only so much you can do heat is going to get around the stuff no matter what you do and most people will go to a FMIC if they are paranoid enough about heatsoak. You have to weigh how much all the fabrication of such a thing is going to take versus how much it will actually do. Frankly the heat shields available now are just so you don't burn yourself while checking the transmission fluid. All the shielding in the world isn't going to help you if you've been driving for an hour and get stopped at a stop light for 3 minutes. Personally I'm looking for quick but effective and protection of vitals (i.e. CV boots).
The Ridiculousness is no more :( But you can have your very own piece of it. **The Ridiculous Part Out.** :D

Cool (sorry!) ideas there, 034 - I'm gonna have to copy ya! :D I currently have the factory heat-shield cut-up to fit over my Crucial DP, and I think I'll go the extra step as you have, too.

---

Here's fellow LGTer (and now ex-Ohioan!) bms231's CryO2 CO2 sprayer setup:

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71750&highlight=co2

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74245&highlight=co2 - vids!

I'd love to get a setup like that, but the expense (plus the fact that I really don't have a need for it) is what's kept me back. I may eventually go that route, though.

I've recently bought mweiner's engine-cover, to which he'd rigged an intercooler sprayer setup. In the next two weeks or so, I'll have hooked up an ancillary reservoir and pump to handle that duty, but like StoomanyesYa so well pointed out above, it's not going to do much when the car's just sitting there, getting heat-soaked....like, for example, that 4-minute traffic light near my home....

Speaking of which, SeeeeeYa, that's some great ideas about further heat-shielding that I'll also be copying!

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

TSI+WRX, have you seen the intelligent controller that is in the Autospeed article? It sprays based on injector load and IC temp... To me it seems the best way to make the sprayer really work... I'm thinking about being the guinea pig, I'm installing a Nordskog intake temp gauge tonight to get a baseline on post IC temps...

^ No, I haven't seen that.....I'm gonna try to dig that one up!

That sounds way cool!

Arrgh, I *really* am trying hard not to make puns! :lol:

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

I'm not sure I've seen any intercooler heat shield posts myself. But I have tried a variety of things.

Number one is to make sure the turbo is shielded. I cut mine minimally when I first installed the Cobb DP. Then again when I installed my AVO380, both times keeping the shield as effectively close to stock as possible.

Next I layered HD aluminum foil and used HVAC aluminum tape to secure it to the (in my case) stock TMIC and then Perrin TMIC's endtanks, making sure it didn't impede airflow.

While I haven't used one, a turbo "blanket" may be the best option. I guess I just worry about the turbo's life expectancy with one.

That is about all that can be done, IMO, without affecting other air and drainage dynamics. Heatsoak primarily results from rising air when you're sitting still. When you're moving, the air is sucked through the hood scoop and drawn underneath the car, assuming you have retained the engine covers top and bottom. Any radiant energy is largely blocked by the turbo's heat shield, and in my case by the pretty effective heat shield on the TMIC that I've fabricated. There hasn't been a time when, after driving normally, I've checked the TMIC and found it other than cooler than I expected.

Anyone know if the cobb turbo heatshield will work with the avo380?

So I had an interesting observation today.. I've been popping the hood and feeling the intercooler when stopped on these hot days... the turbo side is always dang hot (wish there was a phenolic spacer), the other side is not nearly as bad, but not ambient...

After the car sat for 10 min in the 93deg weather, I hooked up the AP and started it up... Intake air temp was 45deg over ambient (138 deg)! When I drove for a good amount of time with no one in front of me, it dropped to around 103deg (just 10 above ambient)... at a short light it would easily climb to 115-117deg...

The stock airbox, the ram air snorkel, and especially the intake tube that goes from the stock box to the turbo where all WAY hot upon stopping... I'm wondering if it would be beneficial to HVAC aluminize/Thermotec wrap them... I just wonder how good that will be at insulating from engine compartment heat?...

Being more anal about the heat these last few days, I also question our engine cover/scoop design.. the scoop outlet is a good inch and half wider on each side than the opening for the intercooler and rather than a smooth run-in to the intercooler, the scoop slopes in to an abrupt flat surface on the engine cover for the intercooler... Since I have an upgraded IC I might dremel some small slits in there to flush air on to the end tanks...

But back to the Thermotec question, how good would that be in insulating the stock airbox and intake pipes from engine compartment heat?

i dont know if this helps you much but aslong as i am mobile logging with the AP usually shows within 3 degrees of ambient for me. i'm pretty sure that gets logged at the MAF so this is base temp not post turbo or post intercooler.

i dont know if this helps you much but aslong as i am mobile logging with the AP usually shows within 3 degrees of ambient for me. i'm pretty sure that gets logged at the MAF so this is base temp not post turbo or post intercooler.

Wow! Really? What are your mods? Is that highway or in town? I think on the highway I would eventually get closer to ambient, what are your temps around town? The radiator fan blows right on the post-MAF intake pipe, I'm thinking I should at least insulate that... I guess if the intercooler is efficient that doesn't really matter, but anything I can do to help the intercooler on these hot days..

dont get me wrong if i'm not moving temps rise up pretty rapidly but as long as there is movement i'm withing a few degrees of ambient

i'm just saying that the temp you are looking at on the AP is the intake temp at the maf (airbox) if you were to place a probe at either pre or post intercooler that would give us a much better basis for comparison of what we are trying to achieve with our heatshield modifications.

another thing that i have done can be seen in the "remove your intake silencer thread" i removed the silencer and put the stock accordian piece where the silencer went and picked up the perrin silicon maf pipe. in theory it would draw more/cooler air from the lower fender behind the foglight

either way cooler air in is cooler air out and dropping your intake temps a few degrees means your intercooler doesnt have to "work as hard"

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j292/yota924x4/0204081607.jpg

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j292/yota924x4/cars/DSC_4122.jpg

Archived