LegacyGT.com

Considering a 08 Spec.B

Title says it all, right now I have a 08 Legacy Limited (not the GT) and a 2007 350z. I do quite a bit of track stuff in my Z but really need to get down to one car (for finance reasons). My current 08 is still on lease so I'm kinda stuck doing something with Subaru if I want to make a change.

While I know the Spec.B isn't going to keep up with my Z I'm wondering what mods I'd need to make to get it close. I'm already planning on upgrading the brakes (which means I'll have to do rims too) and I'll likely make some power mods (I'm in Colorado so the turbo will help a lot here). My Z is 306hp but given that it's naturally aspirated I'm guessing it won't be a huge power drop to go to the Spec.B

What I really want is the Legacy STI, bring it here people! I'm also going to drive the WRX STI but I just don't think I can sacrifice the niceties that the Spec.B has.

So sell me guys, am I going to be happy with the Spec.B on a track? Anyone here track there's?

-Ross

well being an 06 spec.b owner ill try to give you an honest answer. I love my spec.b, but new if your going for performance only a GT can have more done to it for the money you spend on a spec.b, at the same time the spec.b 07/08 gets the 6 speed gear box which if your going to heavy mod is stronger than the 5 speed. The spec.b doesnt have any more power than a regular GT but it does get a better suspension so doesnt have to be changed out for an aftermarket in most driving situation (if your looking to track it you may be changing out for more tuneable system)

if your Z is going to stay your track car and your looking for a fun and fast car you drive the spec.b is a nice car. i guess you just have to weigh the cost of the spec to the things you get. ill try to write a list remember 06 spec.b has the 5 speed and red leather but im assuming your looking at 07/08. both have the alacantra (suede) seat inserts the 07s are blue the 08s are black.

6 speed tranny

Bilstien tuned suspension

aluminum lower control arms (i belive, some aluminum suspension parts)

18" rims vs GT's 17s

Navigation system

alacantra inserts in seats/doors

MP3 cd radio (not sure if all have this on 07/08 i know in my 06 the regular just plays cds the spec plays MP3 cds which hold like 130 songs each give or take, so 6 of those cds gives you a LOT of music at the touch of a button)

power seats both passenger/driver 8 way driver 4 way passenger

may be more thats off the top of my head if i remember anything else ill update it or if im wrong somebody correct me

Also has a rear LSD and VDC.

I don't think it's a whole lots slower than a stock 350z. Some magazine got the spec b to 60 in 5.1 seconds. I've also seen 5.3 and 5.5. Regardless, those numbers aren't far off from the 350z, and I think you can be quite a bit faster than a stock 350z with a stage 2 setup.

Also has a rear LSD and VDC.

I don't think it's a whole lots slower than a stock 350z. Some magazine got the spec b to 60 in 5.1 seconds. I've also seen 5.3 and 5.5. Regardless, those numbers aren't far off from the 350z, and I think you can be quite a bit faster than a stock 350z with a stage 2 setup.

yes forgot LPC3 and VACP likehe said above

Thanks for the info guys. I'm pretty aware of the differences in the GT and Spec.B and would mainly get the Spec.B for all the niceties (love the Alcantara seats, dash, etc). If I did this I would be trading my Z in for it so that would be gone and the Spec.B would be my only car (and track car). I live in Colorado so need/want something that's all wheel drive so the Spec.B definitely fits the bill.

I'm going to drive one this week to see what I think about it. I've also read it hit 0-60 in 5.1 which I find a little hard to believe (the published spec on my Z is 5.5). The track events I do are with the BMW club so I'm driving against a lot of modififed M3's, 335xi, S4, 911 Turbos, etc. I'm a good enough driver so my Z can hang with them, I just want to make sure the Spec.B would as well. I gotta say it is fun passing a modified M3 that's twice the cost of my Z!

On the performance side what would you guys say are the biggest issues with the Spec.B? What don't you like about it?

I've only got about 2000 miles on mine so far but can definitely share a few thoughts.

Handling is great. People have mentioned it's not the best, but coming from a FWD Ion Redline I can't believe the difference. Honestly the redline handled well to me. I'm not sure if it's the vdc keeping me out of trouble or what but I can pretty much floor it around most of the curves on the street around here and not feel the car breaking loose. On the other hand slow speed turning radius seems to be crap. Hard to maneuver in/out of parking spaces.

The 5.1 does seem a bit far fetched. I don't have times and haven't made it to a dyno but it doesn't feel as fast as the Ion Redline. The redline put down 224 whp/195whtq and weighed a decent amount less. Again I have little to back this up. I messed around a bit with a friend who just got an 08 TL type s and while he didn't take me, I wasn't able to put any ground on him either. I was also unable to get away from a late model GTP. Not sure if it was stock or not but I can say the redline never had issues whipping up on a stock GTP. I think I will be doing an accessport and perhaps a downpipe after which I expect it to be a decent bit faster than my redline was.

The clutch is also a bit strange. It only seems to be doing anything on the first couple inches of release.

My only other beef is that the stock stereo pretty much sucks. I don't think it fits with the techy feel of the rest of the car.

Post your feelings after a test drive. Anxious how it feels coming from a 350z.

The track events I do are with the BMW club so I'm driving against a lot of modififed M3's, 335xi, S4, 911 Turbos, etc. I'm a good enough driver so my Z can hang with them, I just want to make sure the Spec.B would as well. I gotta say it is fun passing a modified M3 that's twice the cost of my Z!

A Stage II LGT (Spec B) with better tires and brakes will hang with any of those cars above. That is assuming the 335xi, S4, and 911 turbo's are stock. Are you referring to a modified e36 or e46 M3?

A Stage II LGT (Spec B) with better tires and brakes will hang with any of those cars above. That is assuming the 335xi, S4, and 911 turbo's are stock. Are you referring to a modified e36 or e46 M3?

They range from stock e36's to very modified e46's. I don't mind getting passed by a car that's more then double (if not triple) the money of mine, I just don't want to look stupid driving in the top group with a slow car. If I do this I'll definitely be upgrading the brakes, rims, and tires so that's a given. I'm more worried about the straights and acceleration coming out of the corners.

As for warranty I do want to keep that and the Subie dealer has already made it clear that any mods I do will void it (which I have to say I think that sucks). Nissan has been great with that sorta stuff so far (although I haven't done anything yet). As I told the Subie dealer they are going to have to make this a financial thing for me and show me that I can't afford to keep my current Z and Legacy.

I'll post back after I've driven it and let you guys know my thoughts.

rtbjason: Is the stereo is the Spec.B different than the standard Legacy? My Legacy limited has the upgraded subwoofer and I actually think it sounds pretty fantastic, especially for a stock stereo.

As for warranty I do want to keep that and the Subie dealer has already made it clear that any mods I do will void it (which I have to say I think that sucks).

That is pretty typical of Subaru. If you don't want to change out your DP, just gut your stocker and get a AP so you can run the Stage II map. When you take it in to the dealer for service just flash the stock map. They won't know the difference. ;)

... I live in Colorado so need/want something that's all wheel drive so the Spec.B definitely fits the bill.

Keep in mind the SpecB also comes with Summer rubber. If you are upgrading to track tires, that means you will likely need to buy 2 sets of tires (and rims?) as you will not like the SpecB's rubber on any trips into the mountains between October and May...

rtbjason: Is the stereo is the Spec.B different than the standard Legacy? My Legacy limited has the upgraded subwoofer and I actually think it sounds pretty fantastic, especially for a stock stereo.

The same as far as I know. Sound quality isn't terrible and that is not really my complaint so much.

It just a hokey interface with led style readout. I'd like to see it integrated into the touchscreen. It would also be nice to be able to have the factory sub and the Nav which isn't an option unless you modify the sub and install it elsewhere.

I've only got about 2000 miles on mine so far but can definitely share a few thoughts.

Handling is great. People have mentioned it's not the best, but coming from a FWD Ion Redline I can't believe the difference.

Honestly the redline handled well to me. I'm not sure if it's the vdc keeping me out of trouble or what but I can pretty much floor it around most of the curves on the street around here and not feel the car breaking loose. On the other hand slow speed turning radius seems to be crap. Hard to maneuver in/out of parking spaces.

The 5.1 does seem a bit far fetched. I don't have times and haven't made it to a dyno but it doesn't feel as fast as the Ion Redline. The redline put down 224 whp/195whtq and weighed a decent amount less. Again I have little to back this up. I messed around a bit with a friend who just got an 08 TL type s and while he didn't take me, I wasn't able to put any ground on him either. I was also unable to get away from a late model GTP. Not sure if it was stock or not but I can say the redline never had issues whipping up on a stock GTP. I think I will be doing an accessport and perhaps a downpipe after which I expect it to be a decent bit faster than my redline was.

The clutch is also a bit strange. It only seems to be doing anything on the first couple inches of release.

My only other beef is that the stock stereo pretty much sucks. I don't think it fits with the techy feel of the rest of the car.

Post your feelings after a test drive. Anxious how it feels coming from a 350z.

Nice, me also. Ive had the car for about 2.5 weeks/2000 miles already.

I came from a a MKV GTI on race coils. To me the handling is alright, but the car dives/leans ay to much in corners VS THE GTI. However, when compared to the other "sport sends" i have driven, the Spec.B is by far one of the nicest I have driven in stock form. The ride on it is great too, its soft and compliant IMHO over everything. (Im biased due to running some aggressive coils probably.)

Glad im not the only one. The turning radius is 38feet which is rather large. At slow speed/tight manuvering the car is a bit of a PITA but you get used to it.

Ill be honest, in stock form, the car really doesn't feel that fast to me. It probably that i got used to almost 300crank hp in a GTI and torque which came at just under 2000 rpm. Im sure once I mod the Spec.B ill be able to walk in my GTI.

My GTI clutch was the same way, im used to it, infact i like it.

Ugh, I had a system in the GTI. The system in the Legacy SUCKS. Im sorry but it is one of the worst stereos I have ever heard. Its honestly a disgrace. (Rumor says 2009s will have an upgraded stereo)

Nice, me also. Ive had the car for about 2.5 weeks/2000 miles already.

I came from a a MKV GTI on race coils. To me the handling is alright, but the car dives/leans ay to much in corners VS THE GTI. However, when compared to the other "sport sends" i have driven, the Spec.B is by far one of the nicest I have driven in stock form. The ride on it is great too, its soft and compliant IMHO over everything. (Im biased due to running some aggressive coils probably.)

I only have an LGT, but I followed the general consensus and bought sways as my first mod and have been delighted with the results - Cobb F&R.

Ill be honest, in stock form, the car really doesn't feel that fast to me. It probably that i got used to almost 300whp in a GTI which came at just under 2,000RPM. Im sure once I mod the Spec.B ill be able to walk in my GTI.

:eek::eek::eek: Are you talking torque or hp that early?!?

Ugh, I had a system in the GTI. The system in the Legacy SUCKS. Im sorry but it is one of the worst stereos I have ever heard. Its honestly a disgrace. (Rumor says 2009s will have an upgraded stereo)
Correct - 09's will get an H/K option. There are threads on here discussing the new system and I think they cover it in the current issue of Drive.

Lol a GTI will not make 300whp with a stock turbo and the stock turbo is the only turbo small enough to spool that fast. The GTI stock put down what, 170 to the wheels, so you picked up 130 wheel horsepower and didnt gain any lag from stock. Lol right

Lol a GTI will not make 300whp with a stock turbo and the stock turbo is the only turbo small enough to spool that fast. The GTI stock put down what, 170 to the wheels, so you picked up 130 wheel horsepower and didnt gain any lag from stock. Lol right

And heres the example of me being half asleep again. Ive been thinking crank HP but for some reason decided to type WHP. What I meant to have typed was stage 2 with meth injection does see almost 300 at the CRANK. Thanks for catching that.

And heres the example of me being half asleep again. Ive been thinking crank HP but for some reason decided to type WHP. What I meant to have typed was stage 2 with meth injection does see almost 300 at the CRANK. Thanks for catching that.

Not that i have anything againt GTIs, my buddys turbo blew the other day so when we were rebuilding it he was turning the shaft bolt to the left but he forgot that they are reverse thread and snapped the shaft. So we made a shaft at my buddys machine shop and that turbo with the homemade shaft has been running great for 20kmiles now lol. I thought it was gonna do some real damage.

Archived