LegacyGT.com

How hot do exhaust pipes get?

DoubleM

How hot do our exhaust pipes get? I'm asking this because I want to paint my x02 mid and y pipes to prevent them from rusting like my last ones. I bought some black header paint thats good for up to 1200 degrees, but with a silver car with the stock chrome grill and other chrome pieces on the car, I don't think a black exhaust would look good. I also bought some silver 1200 degree paint, but I'm not sure how that would look either. I bought some clear engine enamel that has ceramic in it as well, but is only rated for 500 degrees. Do our mid and y pipes exceed 500 degrees? The clear enamel would be great so that I could still have the chrome exhaust look. Thanks!

How hot do our exhaust pipes get? I'm asking this because I want to paint my x02 mid and y pipes to prevent them from rusting like my last ones. I bought some black header paint thats good for up to 1200 degrees, but with a silver car with the stock chrome grill and other chrome pieces on the car, I don't think a black exhaust would look good. I also bought some silver 1200 degree paint, but I'm not sure how that would look either. I bought some clear engine enamel that has ceramic in it as well, but is only rated for 500 degrees. Do our mid and y pipes exceed 500 degrees? The clear enamel would be great so that I could still have the chrome exhaust look. Thanks!

You could always paint everything except for the tips. The tips are all you really see for the most part.

well, you guys must be way taller than me. For me, if you're walking up to the car from behind, I can see my y pipes, and they look sweet when they're polished. I used the clear 500 F enamel on the y pipe, and silver 1200 F paint on the midpipe because I can't really see it. Too late now, we'll see how it goes. I might be getting a Perrin catback anyway.

^ I suppose considering these pipes are bigger they are more noticeable. When I had the Greddy EVO2 cbe, you could definitely see everything back to the y pipe. But for the x02, considering the rust issues, I personally would have coated the whole thing black with header paint and left the tips chrome.

Archived