LegacyGT.com

Poll: Cold weather "lockout"....

voyetra8

Have you been mysteriously locked-out of your Legacy?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Have you been mysteriously locked-out of your Legacy?

• Yes
    • No
    • You are on crack. There is no way the car locked itself.

So after readiing this thread this morning and heading out to lunch, as I was driving along I started thinking about this lockout issue. After looking at the door it would appear that for one to accidentally lock the door as one is exiting the car, it would be almost impossible. One would would not just have to merely bump the lock with one's hand, one would have to actually place ones finger behind the lock and then also pull toward one's self. It would seem that this is very unlikely to happen accidentally.

Agreed with Xenonk.... Neither of which I can say, atleast for myself, is the case. I have NEVER used the manual locking function of the driver door. Only in exploring the cause of this problem have I played around with it. 9 out of 10 times I use the key fob to lock the doors, I will on occasion use the power lock switch if needed. As Xenonk says, I could see this happening to someone who uses the manual lock on the door regularly and slips up and locks him or herself out. But, I'm not going to subconsciously reach my finger in behind that lock and pull it.

After looking at the door lock more closely, I have to say I' m at 5 9's of confidence in stating that the car itself locked me out. I have of course tested the lockout feature which works just fine when I test it. I dont want to sensationalize but, this time of year when its so damn cold outside, we are more apt to get out of our cars and leave them running, if this were to happen at the wrong place (say in rural PA) you could be in serious danger from exposure. I was driving through places last night in said locale where temps where around 2 degrees and headed further downward and there were no other cars in sight. I now keep spare key in the inside pocket of my parka at all times.

It's never happened to me. Why? Because I'm paranoid. Every time I open the doors or get out of the car with the key in the ignition and the engine running, I roll down the driver's side window. Just one little press of the auto roll down as I'm getting out of the car does wonders to prevent lockout..

:D

See this thread... it's not anyone's imagination, and the behavior CAN be changed:

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4071

I don't think you get what I am saying.

My car behaves one way when above a certain temp: "lockout protection on"

And differently when it is super cold (<5°) out: "autolock on"

Does that make sense?

:eek: Not forswearing the ECU+too-damn-cold glitch but...

I never get all the way in the car when I start it up in the morning. I'm usually just in my pants and wife beater at that point so I open the door, depress the clutch with my right foot, reach around the steering column, turn her on, close the door and go back inside to finish getting ready for Hell with flourescent lighting.

Let's recap - now the door is open and the car isn't started. Hit the lock button as you are inserting the key or beginning to turn the ingnition and she WILL lock up! Time it right (or wrong, depending on your perspective) and I bet you won't even discern the security chime from the initial seatbelt chime that still sounds even after you've 'disabled' it.

Go ahead check it out for yourself - it's reproducable.

The old A4 would not lock the driver's door if it was open, irrespective...

• 2 weeks later...

heres my solution to this problem....i always carry the valet key in my pocket so i am not afraid of being locked out ever.

Also when i need to jump out the car i wont shut it too hard and close the door but gently bring it near closing state.

• 7 years later...
Found this string looking for answers. Have new 2012 Legacy Went Christmas shopping today and key fob would not work to open trunk but would work for rest of doors. I just bought the car in sept. bizarre. I have to go to work in snowstorms and after reading these posts I'm a little nervous.

Found this string looking for answers. Have new 2012 Legacy Went Christmas shopping today and key fob would not work to open trunk but would work for rest of doors. I just bought the car in sept. bizarre. I have to go to work in snowstorms and after reading these posts I'm a little nervous.

Sounds like you may be in a valet mode on the key fob. So you can lock stuff in the trunk and not have a valet access it.

-Mike Paisan

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/91072632.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/145749898/original.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/133406601.jpg http://www.whiteline.com.au/images/logos/perf1.jpg

11+ Years Maintaining, Modifying and Educating TriState Subaru Enthusiasts.

Call directly as We carry almost every manufacturer now, so before you buy parts call us.

Like us on Facebook! | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) | T-1 Certified Amsoil Direct Jobber |AIM: AZP Installs

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

Archived