LegacyGT.com

5EAT 3rd gear issue

RX300T

My 5EAT holds the rpms at 5k for about 2-3 seconds in 3rd gear(only) whenever i WOT before continue climbing to redline.

It happens in manual mode cos in drive or sports, TCU changes gears before 5k since i don't WOT much unless in manual mode.

does anyone experience the same thing or can anyone help diagnose the problem?

mine is a 05 LGT 2.0L with vf36.

Thanks.

My 5EAT holds the rpms at 5k for about 2-3 seconds in 3rd gear(only) whenever i WOT before continue climbing to redline.

It happens in manual mode cos in drive or sports, TCU changes gears before 5k since i don't WOT much unless in manual mode.

does anyone experience the same thing or can anyone help diagnose the problem?

mine is a 05 LGT 2.0L with vf36.

Thanks.

Chances are that is where the torque converter lockup occurs. When I had the stock turbo, even highly tuned, on a steep hill I'd see what you mention. Now with a bigger turbo and more power, on the same hill, that lockup period passes quickly but it still exists. It's just how the 5EAT works.

Chances are that is where the torque converter lockup occurs. When I had the stock turbo, even highly tuned, on a steep hill I'd see what you mention. Now with a bigger turbo and more power, on the same hill, that lockup period passes quickly but it still exists. It's just how the 5EAT works.

why is it only noticeable in 3rd gear?

so it's normal? ok at least now i'm more comfortable with WOT-ing my car :lol:

Thanks alot.

why is it only noticeable in 3rd gear?

so it's normal? ok at least now i'm more comfortable with WOT-ing my car :lol:

Thanks alot.

Why is it only noticeable in 3rd gear? Largely because that is where power is being developed over a longer period of time and the TC lockup actually comes into play. First and second pass so rapidly under WOT there is no lockup going to happen. And as for fourth and fifth? try holding WOT until those RPM and let me know how fast you're going..... :eek:. I suspect you won't be sitting there wondering about any slight hesitation :lol:, eh?

it happens on most drive by wire cars. happens on my 06 'stang and thats a manual

Thanks for the feedback. Any way to get rid of such hesistation? short of converting to cable that is. :)

Why is it only noticeable in 3rd gear? Largely because that is where power is being developed over a longer period of time and the TC lockup actually comes into play. First and second pass so rapidly under WOT there is no lockup going to happen. And as for fourth and fifth? try holding WOT until those RPM and let me know how fast you're going..... :eek:. I suspect you won't be sitting there wondering about any slight hesitation :lol:, eh?

come to think of it, ya dun think i ever had the chance to really hold 4th and 5th til that rpm :lol:

they dun build roads long enough for that here. :lol:

Archived