LegacyGT.com

What NOT to do when making fiberglass

ean611

I think these pics speak for themselves.

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l177/ean611/DSCN0491.jpg

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l177/ean611/DSCN0490.jpg

So we're working at molding the rear trunk, when I stick the paintbrush into the bucket, and notice a hard center thing floating in there. The bucket is also getting very hot. This is only 10 minutes after mixing the hardener into the resin.

Well, apparently, we didn't have enough surface area to keep the resin mix cool, and the reaction ran away. Live and learn I guess (no mixing in that quantity!)

That bucket went from liquid to hard resin inside of 2 minutes!

That is one of those mistakes that I think everyone that has worked with fiberglass/epoxy makes once. The other mistake is not getting on the ball once you make the mix. Both end up with the same result, a cup of hot rock hard nothing lol.

Heh, it was actually around 60 outside when that happened, good thing too.

I'll have pics up in my install thread at some point detailing what I actually did. Just completed the fiberglass mold hard part, now they've got to take their time to finish drying.

fiberglass resin is a hit or miss really unless you are measuring out exact amounts of resin to hardener ratio and i do agree mix it when you need it don't let it sit cause once the hardener goes in its go time! over the years iv'e gone through gallons of it thinking im ready but find a few loose staples or what not and end up with a hard hot mass of nothing but a headache lol, oh the joys of fiberglass car audio installs!

03 BH

Mods: Group A Alt & Crank Pullys and end links,

CIA, JDM L7 Grille, JDM HID lights, JDM rear tails

Stromung CBE, KYB GR2's W/ H&R springs.

small works best, cause if it does harden on you too quick its just a small amount vs. say half a gallon of waste. plus if you do it in smaller sizes when you mix the next batch it gives the previous one time to dry, if you cake it on to quick and thick it wont fully harden since the resin exposed to the air will cure/dry at a faster rate than the resin coverd by numerous coats. Think of it as painting a car, room anything for that matter, more coats of less product equals better results

03 BH

Mods: Group A Alt & Crank Pullys and end links,

CIA, JDM L7 Grille, JDM HID lights, JDM rear tails

Stromung CBE, KYB GR2's W/ H&R springs.

i was planning an adventure soon...thanks for the help. i would have done this, no doubt in my mind!!

if you need resin, let me know. I have some I have been trying to pawn off for a while now

what about for fiberglassing larger items...say if i was to make a cooler to put corny kegs in (21"x34"). fiberglass would be inside and out. could i fiberglass over the pink sheet foam insulation or do i need to find something to cover first? might have to do a test run on the insulation.

alright, fiberglass sucks!!! gloves didnt last as long as i would have liked. need industrial anal probe to the elbow gloves for round 2. have one coat completed on the cooler box. sand and coat numero 2 should just about kill me! this crap better be worth it!

thanks, had some ends to clean up beforethe second coat. i didnt melt anything though and glued a layer of 4 mil plastic to the insulation board before fiber glass. probably should have stapeled the cloth down before coating. might have made it more even and smooth. it will work though.

Archived