LegacyGT.com

so which navi units do actually fit in that cubby?

mmanus88

well i decided i really need navigation. i'm the sort of person that has no sense of direction if in unknown territory. i have looked at various handheld products and thought about instlaling them into the cubby (customized) but i decided if i'm going to do this, might as well go the extra mile. i am looking for a motorized solution (like the pioneer avic-n1). problem is, there would definately have to be some plastic cut away from the cubby's "innards". another problem is the depth of these DIN units, they exceed the cubby's by 3-4 inches. can more plastic be dug at into the cubby wihtout interfering with electrical work? are there any motorized solutions that actually fit into the cubby with little customized work/cutting?

companies to consider:

alpine

kenwood

pioneer

i would love to fit pioneer's avic-n1 solution in if its posible!

*edit* does the heat in the cubby affest a navi solution that would be installed as well?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
did that. height is obviously fine (knowing DIN sizes) but depth and width are the problems. i have heard people say that u could hack some plastic away to make it fit (and i beleive there was even one thread that had a japanese motorized system installed.)

I had the cubby out tonight to do some stuff. If you remove the door and top part pf the cubby from the center console it looks like you have about 6 7/8" of width and at most about 5" inches in depth. However, the limiting factor in depth is just some plastic that should be easily trimmable. If that is enough width or you are willing to do some trimming to the vent surrounds it should be no problem to get a single DIN unit in there. Making it look good would be another matter.

I'm a newbie, but thought I'd let you know that a navigation system will be offered with the new 23V upgrade to the Legacy. I am an engineer at a Subaru supplier, and I am in charge of the "beam steering" part, which is what the dash board mounts to. We are adding holes to this part to allow for the new wiring clips for the navigation system.

So how hard would it be to add OEM navigation to an '05.

great installation! but i do not like magellan :) .

i was thinking about installing the navman icn 510 (the new 650 won't fit) shown here http://www.navmanusa.com/product.asp?pn=AA005380

or the tomtom GO, shown here http://www.tomtom.com/products/product.php?ID=12&Language=4

the tomtom is 4.5x3.6x2.3

the navman is 2.8 in x 4.8 in x 1 in

the tomtom seems to be the more preferable choice, since the sid slot is in the front (iu could esaily exchange maps when wanted) its feasibly touchscreen, highly rated, and good map data. the navman is a sleeker unit but i am not sure if the bigger screen will fit. based on your experience of the cubb'y s size, which one of these units would fit? i would do this through pro. installers.

great installation! but i do not like magellan :) .

i was thinking about installing the navman icn 510 (the new 650 won't fit) shown here http://www.navmanusa.com/product.asp?pn=AA005380

or the tomtom GO, shown here http://www.tomtom.com/products/product.php?ID=12&Language=4

the tomtom is 4.5x3.6x2.3

the navman is 2.8 in x 4.8 in x 1 in

the tomtom seems to be the more preferable choice, since the sid slot is in the front (iu could esaily exchange maps when wanted) its feasibly touchscreen, highly rated, and good map data. the navman is a sleeker unit but i am not sure if the bigger screen will fit. based on your experience of the cubb'y s size, which one of these units would fit? i would do this through pro. installers.

I'm not sure but I think the tomtom is going to be a tight fit in terms of height. Because a good deal of that height is from the bezel above the screen you may be able to fit it though.

Alpine Navigation will fit anywhere with a screen. Find a screen that fits and Voilà.

It will work through the factory Legacy Radio with the help of the Alpine VehicleHub. I started a thread about it. You can also hook an I-Pod up to it.

that would be nice, but problem is its not easy finding a standalone screen, especially one that just fits into that cubby. that cubby space is a pain in the ass to fit shit into :( . i beleive the tomtom would go nicely in there, i am going to 6th ave electronics today, will ask the trechnicians there about this.

that would be nice, but problem is its not easy finding a standalone screen, especially one that just fits into that cubby. .

I'm sure there is one out there. If not, find a guy that can do some custon fibreglassing and redo the trim around the cubby with the vents. Could look sweet.

I'm sure there is one out there. If not, find a guy that can do some custon fibreglassing and redo the trim around the cubby with the vents. Could look sweet.

If navigation is indeed an option for the 06's then I would just get the OEM monitor and use all the Alpine stuff for the back-end. The realtime traffic stuff would be nice to have as would sirius and ipod capatability or even a carpc. Imagine being able to have a boost gauge on your monitor or OBDII data. Having the ability to display gtech type data on the screen, 0-6, 1/4 mile, would be cool too.

so ur saying to wait for the 06 with avi to come out, and just get the screen bit when it goes on sale?

sounds lieka plan

Another option I am investigating is getting a DIN bezel, that's available in the JDM accessories brochure, to go into the cubby. This will enable us to use an in dash flip out nav unit. I contacted king of imports about this, but they have not got back to me yet.

• 2 weeks later...
Check this out: http://www.nona.dti.ne.jp/~two-hot/1din.html

A 1-DIN bezel for the Legacy.

AWESOME find....with this I could use all my existing equipment sitting on my shelf....I WILL have one.....or I will end up with the other unit with the screen attched to it. You can buy it sep. from the whole nav set up. But this find would be much better for me :p and much cheaper I'd guess....

From my buddy in Japan:

That unit (http://www.nona.dti.ne.jp/~two-hot/1din.html) is

With the current exchange is $208.70 USD

AWESOME find....with this I could use all my existing equipment sitting on my shelf....I WILL have one.....or I will end up with the other unit with the screen attched to it. You can buy it sep. from the whole nav set up. But this find would be much better for me :p and much cheaper I'd guess....

From my buddy in Japan:

That unit (http://www.nona.dti.ne.jp/~two-hot/1din.html) is

With the current exchange is $208.70 USD

I am trying to organize a group buy of the din bezels that convert the cubby to single DIN. I think that this would be easier to install, as it's a subaru part and it justs connects to the back of the din opening, once you remove the door module. I have been quoted between $120-$150 without a group buy.

I am trying to organize a group buy of the din bezels that convert the cubby to single DIN. I think that this would be easier to install, as it's a subaru part and it justs connects to the back of the din opening, once you remove the door module. I have been quoted between $120-$150 without a group buy.

That would be awesome if you hit up a group buy soon...when were you planning on this? which vendor were you talk'n to? What stores did you get your prices from. Got any links where we can check it out? For 120 bucks I'll just buy in now :D S

share up the info....I've been look'n for months now and want all my equipment in the GT.........thanx a ton

That would be awesome if you hit up a group buy soon...when were you planning on this? which vendor were you talk'n to? What stores did you get your prices from. Got any links where we can check it out? For 120 bucks I'll just buy in now :D S

share up the info....I've been look'n for months now and want all my equipment in the GT.........thanx a ton

The bezel can be seen in this thread http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4934&highlight=cubby starting at post #3. If you look inside your cubby you can see that it is modular and that the door can be removed without much effort. Once the door is removed, just replace with the DIN bezel, and slide your headunit of choice in.

I was talking with Paul from AVO and he is by far the most responsive and has given me the best quoted prices. He told me he would get back to me on the group buy. My suggestion is PM him, Apexjapan, with your interest in the bezel, product number H0017AG920. Once he sees that there is interest he will be more willing to get us a group buy.

Archived