LegacyGT.com

7500 service, why do I know more than them?

firedawgs

1st off my Legacy actually has 8500K miles on it. I would have had the car serviced at 7500k, but my wife threw away my added security maintenance program booklet. I had to get another one through Subaru.

I am using synthetic oil. I figure if Subaru thinks that you can use the oil in the car for 7500k miles then I am putting synthetic in. The question is did they really use the oil I gave them or saved it for their own car?

The rubber on the wipers were falling off. It was covered under warranty; replaced both.

My perimeter alarm does not work. I can kick the tires and bang on the car and nothing. I know there is a thread out there for this problem. I ask the dealer to adjust the senitivity and they told me that there is no such thing as a shock sensor for the car, that I must have an aftermarket alarm. I then showed him my window sticker of my car with Convience group 1 (auto dimming mirror and perimeter alarm). Oh he says. We will have to look that up. I have to make an appointment for it. Yeah right.

I asked the guy that actually worked on my car if the uppipe from a WRX will fit legacy. He said that the exhaust was totally different.

Last: I asked to disable the seat belt chime. They said no way possible it is a law now. B.S.

Man, why do we the driver know more about the car then the mechanics???

Anyone else have issues like this with there dealer.

I asked to get my perimeter alarm turned about 2 or 3 wks ago...The service rep. didnt know, but he was nice about it and didnt act stupid. I have a feeling these guys arent getting the factory training they're supposed to...The service advisor that I spoke w/ is usually on top of these things, he just had no idea about the perimeter alarm...

I also bring my own synthetic oil, but I'm fairly confident that they're actually putting it in MY car because I always get the 1/2 qt or so that remains in the 5 qt jug. Granted, they could be putting it in another container but the dealership (which also does Volvo) only has one Subaru tech... this kindly old guy. Somehow I trust him. He drives a Forester. :-)

If you're really concerned, you could just go watch them change your oil. Its probably annoying to the tech, but you are the customer and (by definition) right. Right? :-)

Also, it wouldn't suprise me that we probably (at this fairly early stage) know more about our cars than the dealership does. You always have to look out for yourself. The dealer frequently does not have a clue. I had a WRX previously and I wanted to test drive the STi. The dealer said absolutely not (for insurance reasons...me being a smarmy kid and all...), but I could test drive a regular WRX (which I already had). He told me "Its exactly the same only its not 300HP." I said "You mean: except for the engine, transmission, suspension, wheels, tires, interior trim, headlights, and brakes...they're identical."

Just remember they'll always be in denial about customer complaints. The first step is for them to admit that there is a problem. Then the healing can begin... :-P

Now that is some B.S., not on you Legs but your dealer. So now they are dictating which oil you can use. So what if you did not have the maintenance program and changed the oil yourself; do you have to call SOA and get approval for which oil to use. NO steal on this thread, but thats makes me mad that the dealer would say something like that. Man, they are idiots sometimes.

I've never had a shop change the oil in any of the cars I've owned. Looking at the procedures for the Legacy oil change, it seems like a pita...having to take the plastic cover out. If I go to the dealership with my own oil, would they lower the charge on the service or do I still pay the full amount? Thanks.

Its for all the above reasons that i DO NOT GO TO THE DEALERSHIP... changing the oil on this car is so easy. The oil filter was always difficult on other cars, but its very easily accessible on the leggy. And yes, i also agree that it BS that we know more then they do.. i mean shit, if they're getting paid for it, they should atleast know the answer or tell you they don't know, not guess and be wrong.

And plus did I mention, the dealer did tell me that they had to charge Subaru the price for the oil, even though I used my own. That is 5 quarts dealer price of oil.

Oh yeah, I also had that carpet hook issue, with the hook coming up all the time. I got the new yellow dot carpet hook. I installed it when I put in my subwoofer. Guess who took the credit and the money for that install. You guessed it.

I just had an oil change last week with my own synthetic oil at the dealership. They didn't charge me for oil price and didn't give me a hard time on the syn oil either.

Look for other dealership is a good idea.

what dealer is this? i'm looking at getting one and go to school in worcester, i need to know who to avoid :)

and if you think your dealers don't know anything about your car, you haven't seen anything. i drive a mazdaspeed protege now, and they made 3500 of them total. the service departments at dealerships hardly ever see them, let alone know them well enough to know common problems with them. i dont even think there are enough of my car to have problems established as "common" in the dealer's eyes. your stories are nothing compared to what we've had to deal with

Don't worry about it in Worcester. I am on the cape.

I have to bring my car in on Friday too. I am getting this annoying "ACC" that flashes in the display where the tempature is. The last place I took in my car with only 800 miles on it, had my car for 8 days and never could find the problem. I don't think it is just this one dealer. I think that Subaru has not spent the time to teach their techs about the new vehicle.

OK,

I brought my car in first thing this morning to the dealer. I had a "ACC" flashing in my temperature display. Of course, it was not flashing when I brought the car in, just everyday for the last week. The dealer (service manager) said that they could not look at it unless there was a CEL. SO, I asked Jeff, the mechanic that I know, to look at it with the "Select Monitor". There were no codes. He also adjusted the perimeter alarm setting through the monitor.

The problem is: Jeff went in the stalls and got the service manual for the 05 Subaru and brought it in to me to look how to turn alarm on/off. THe perimeter was adjusted to 2 and still would not go off when you kick the tires. Anyways, he was helping me out, when the service manager walks in and tells Jeff to get to work on a car out in the stall, because "they are paying customers" I thought that was a crock of SH!*. You don't treat people like that; you fix problems even if the car was not bought from you. Even Jeff and Jack (the parts manager) heard it and thought it was unprofessional.

I think I am not going to bring my car back. I will buy my parts through Jack though. I have done all my work through them the last two and half years. I have given them plenty of money. Plus, having the maintenance program is worth $800.

• 2 weeks later...
My Legacy GT came equipped with the perimeter alarm, but at delivery this system was set in the "valet mode". After pressing the matter of "no way to trigger perimeter alarm" with the service department, one service tech was able to figure out the procedure to activate the normal mode for the system. Once that was done, I could trigger the alarm by kicking the tires or jouncing the car body. In other words they switched the factory system on!

1st off my Legacy actually has 8500K miles on it. I would have had the car serviced at 7500k, but my wife threw away my added security maintenance program booklet. I had to get another one through Subaru.

I am using synthetic oil. I figure if Subaru thinks that you can use the oil in the car for 7500k miles then I am putting synthetic in. The question is did they really use the oil I gave them or saved it for their own car?

Where do you see it saying to change the oil every 7500 miles....you said 7500000, but i think you meant 7500. Mine is every 3k miles.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

I did check to see if the alarm was activated through the key on/door unlock 3 times things. The alarm is on. The sensitivty is now on 3 but nothing. I just wish the dealer knew what they were doing to figure out what was going on.

P.S. MWeiner2

thanks for understanding what I meant 7,500 miles and not 750,000 miles, Come on, meow.

My Legacy GT came equipped with the perimeter alarm, but at delivery this system was set in the "valet mode". After pressing the matter of "no way to trigger perimeter alarm" with the service department, one service tech was able to figure out the procedure to activate the normal mode for the system. Once that was done, I could trigger the alarm by kicking the tires or jouncing the car body. In other words they switched the factory system on!

Archived