LegacyGT.com

HELP! MR Coilover Broken - How to fix?

mschmidt

All,

I have had a clunking/popping sound coming from my driver's side front coilover ever since I installed them. This was the first coilover I installed and the one I learned the hard way with tightening the top bolt. I must have spun it half a dozen times before realizing I needed to hold the shaft - doh!

The result: This sound. Well today I finally found the time to swap the stock strut and the popping is gone. The car looks like I have some 3 -wheel motion so I do want to drive it like this nor swap the rest back.

My question is: How do I tear down the strut and any idea how to fix it? I'm going to start with taking the top bolt off and try to troubleshoot. Perhaps Boostjunkie can get it rebuilt/certified for me? Maybe I just need a new one. I don't have a manual, perhaps that explains it? Let me know if you can help guys! thanks.

Mike

Ok, got the coilover apart no problem by just taking the top nut off. I could tell it was cross threaded right away. The damper itself is sealed but the only thing I could see wrong was the threads were completely worn away on one side of the bolt and the shaft itself had some discoloration in a couple spots (hard to see in the pic). Let me know what you think should be my next steps? I plan to at least swap the right front for now.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/mschmidt/DSC04853.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/mschmidt/DSC04863.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/mschmidt/DSC04881.jpg

Mike

thanks... I want to get this fixed fast. Anyone know who to contact about getting a rebuilt MR coilover or a new one? The megan racing website only sells them in sets. Maybe I will give them a call tomorrow. Hopefullt Bosstjunkie will chime in and by able to help me out. His PM mailbox is full.

Mike

Funny. I just responded to another post about a clunking front MR coilover. I agree you probably need a new unit, but I think it's worth thinking about how this might have happened. If the top nut which secures the pillow ball mount onto the shock loosens up, the pillow ball bushing will start pounding up and down. Looks like yours pounded enough to virtually rip the nut off the threaded shaft. Guess I'll go check mine.

I never heard from Boostjunkie when I sent him an email, nor could I send him a PM (full). So I called MR direct and they said $95 for a new core, ~$1 for the nut, and $15 for each boot, plus shipping. This should be all I need. They are checking to see if it is in stock and will call me back. The guy didn't seem too bright on the phone btw.

Pooo... just talked to Alex at MR (626)581-0988. He said they do not have the new core (this does include a new shaft) in stock. He has one top nut left but no dust boots either. No complete assemblies too. He can order is all for $95 + $2 + $15 + $20 shipping and it would take 1 to 2 months! Hopefully Boostjunkie gets back from vacation soon and has one of these in stock. Driving with two stock front shocks can't be good/safe. I can get by without the dust boot as it only has a very minor tear. Maybe the nut is good too. Poop. Let me know if anyone talks to boostjunkie or has any other ideas?

Mike

Archived