LegacyGT.com

Legacy Subwoofer

I just installed an oem subwoofer in my 08 Legacy 2.5i. My previous car had a completely custom stereo (i.e. head unit, amps, crossovers, tweeters, mid range, mid bass, subs, etc…) and I was debating about putting it back into this car. However, after weighing all my options, I decided to go with the factory sub to “round off” the factory stereo.

It is in no way comparable to my old stereo (I already knew this before I installed it), but it does add a little something to the existing factory set up. I truly didn’t want to go through and rewire the whole car or take up valuable trunk space at this time. I also only paid $100 for it.

The only thing I can say is that everyone has a different opinion when it comes to music and how their radio sounds. I personally don’t think it’s worth $250, but for $100 I like what it added to the existing stereo.

If you are looking for “true bass” this will not suffice and if you are looking for better sound quality you should already know that the entire system should be replaced.

Negatives: Not a lot of bass, after it is installed it is very difficult to adjust the gain and frequency controls, if paying full msrp it’s very expensive imho.

Positives: It’s is very discrete and takes up no room at all, “rounds off” the factory stereo, installation is very simple.

on the topic, if you have factory nav can you install factory sub? i dont think you can since the DVD drive is under the drivers seat..... ohh well 15" kicker it is....

on the topic, if you have factory nav can you install factory sub? i dont think you can since the DVD drive is under the drivers seat..... ohh well 15" kicker it is....

I think that you could mount it under the passenger seat. The only thing preventing you from doing so would be the bracket, which holds the sub in place, it mounts on the inboard drivers side seat bolt. Fabricate a mirror image of the bracket (or jury rig something like a strap screwed to the floor) and you should be good to go!

The hidden sub box I make that someone posted above will house a 12" sub which should be plenty of bump for anyone. Not to mention that stock sub couldn't be very good in the way of sound quality.

With one of the hidden boxes you could run an Alpine PDX amp that is no larger than the size of a small book. Stick it way in the back corner of the trunk and it will be out of the way. You could even get it in the spare tire well along with the enclosure if you get creative.

to do that work would take just as much time as it would to wire in my cap and kicker woofer I already own..

I wont argue there. You can't beat free. You won't pay for it in $ but you will with trunk space. It's all dependent on your goals with the system and what you are willing to give up.

I wont argue there. You can't beat free. You won't pay for it in $ but you will with trunk space. It's all dependent on your goals with the system and what you are willing to give up.

yeah im thinking of building a custom box to take up as little space as possible. luckily running only 500 wats to it and a sealed enclosure it only needs 1 cu ft of box space

• 7 years later...

Back on subject to original post a little bit..

How does the OEM Sub install? Screw it to driver seat bracket and run a wire straight up and pop it into the back of the stereo? Is there adapters or splicing needed? Additional power? Is it possible to have one on driver side and one on passenger?

I just got a 08 Legacy 2.5i Special Edition. I agree the stock sound system is a little weak. Especially in the bass but I'm not looking for anything crazy. Just a quick and easy bass edition for a new born member of the Subaru family.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

Install is pretty simple. Here is a general list of steps from what i remember.

- remove radio

- disconnect radio wiring harness

- plug factory sub wiring harness into radio wiring harness.

- plug the inline harness into radio

- reinstall

The factory sub comes with the subunit, wiring harness and a bracket. The harness requires no splicing when you install. Its simple plug and play. The bracket installs to the bottom of the sub, and to a bolt at the front seat.

In my 2006 LGT, i did run two factory subs. The mounting bracket is only designed to install under the drivers seat, so youd have to run it under the passeneger seat wihout the bracket and use either velcro to secure it or modify the bracket to fit on the left side

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Archived