LegacyGT.com

Is it worth moving front speakers to back door?

dfalk

So I just got my Infinity Kappa components that im going to install this weekend in my front door. Is it worth taking the factory door speakers and moving them to the rear door? Im never going to upgrade the rear speakers cause I really dont care about rear fill. Regardless of what I do all door speakers are going to be hooked up to an amp getting about 100 watts RMS. I figured if I have the door panel off I might as well put the better speaker in there. Thoughts/opinions?

Front and rear speakers are virtually identical in construction. The differences are more into how they mount to the door. There is zero benifit to moving the front speakers to the rear, and they will not even be a direct bolt in to do so.

The difference with the front speakers is the tweeter. If you want, you could put that in line with the rears, but there would be little to zero positive beneifit, and most likely, you'll have a negative effect up front, as it will interfere with your front imaging and SQ.

Honestly, if you do not care about rear fill, disconnect the rear speakers. The stock woofers are terrible, and should not be used. Just use your Kappas only if you don't want to change the rear speakers.

Also, the stock tweeter location does not have very good imaging properties, coaxally mounting your speakers is the best way to do things short of kick panels.

One more thing, if you look for my install thread, and go to the last page, you'll see the interior of the door panel. You will get some resonance above the speaker that will result in midrange (600-2000Hz) reverb in there. For best results, sound deaden the door, and add some sound deadener to the door panel as well to prevent the resonance there.

Archived