LegacyGT.com

The ultimate KW coilover walkthrough

whobaru

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Teins are gonna be garbage.

The Konis may be a good choice, but for better performance and better ride.................I think you want a bit stiffer springs.

The bad thing about the KWs is that in order for them to be used properly the car will have to be lowered some, not a ton, but some.

The Teins are gonna be garbage.

The Konis may be a good choice, but for better performance and better ride.................I think you want a bit stiffer springs.

The bad thing about the KWs is that in order for them to be used properly the car will have to be lowered some, not a ton, but some.

Why are the Teins garbage? Too stiff, too soft, not balanced, not durable? I've read good things about them. It's also what Car & Driver put on their modified Legacy (trying to make a GT better than a Spec B in 2006).

I thought about Konis or Bilsteins with stiffer (and somewhat lower) springs (like Rallitek's). By the time you get springs and dampers, you're close to the price of the Tein Basics which, in theory, should be a balanced spring/damper combo with adjustable ride height (but without damping adjustments). So I'm curious about any specifics on them that are negative or positive, especially if someone has driven them and alternative combinations.

Why are the Teins garbage? Too stiff, too soft, not balanced, not durable? I've read good things about them. It's also what Car & Driver put on their modified Legacy (trying to make a GT better than a Spec B in 2006).

I thought about Konis or Bilsteins with stiffer (and somewhat lower) springs (like Rallitek's). By the time you get springs and dampers, you're close to the price of the Tein Basics which, in theory, should be a balanced spring/damper combo with adjustable ride height (but without damping adjustments). So I'm curious about any specifics on them that are negative or positive, especially if someone has driven them and alternative combinations.

Usually the Teins are always garbage IMO. The quality of their dampers is sub-par. Maybe I am wrong, this is what I have heard from many people that know their stuff, and even can sell the Teins of the want.

Teins garbage? LBGT, you usually form opinion after trying stuff.

I owned KWv2. Very low-end coilover. Neither comfortable, neither sporty.

I can't say anything about Tein Basics since I didn't have them, but Tein Flex are awesome coilovers. In fact for track duty I like them better than my Bilstein PSS coilovers. Flex have better damping than KWs and overall balance - I think stiffer rear springs (like stock and Bilsteins) make the car more neutral. Great adjustability for autox/track, yet very liveable on the street.

^^^I disagree w/ unclemat and agree w/ LBGT about the KW vs. Tein thing :lol:

So do Boostjunkie and a few others that have had the Teins and KWs on ;)

And, in my other car, the Teins dampers were CRAP in comparison to Koni reds, for handling and ride quality. And that was with higher spring rates on the Konis ;)

:spin:

Praedet. I compared them back to back. On two cars, one with Tein Flex, one with KWv2. I like Tein far better, better handling, better/quicker damping, better balance.

If someone is looking for a milder setup, yeah might be better off with KWs. But then KWs don't hold a candle to Bilstein coilovers.

Frankly KWs are not worth the money. Instead I'd just buy Bilsteins struts and springs and call it a day (perhaps Konis).

Don't forget Boostjunkie sells KWs. What did you expect? Megan Racing crapolas were also great according to him.

I understand that you and LBGT are KW fanbois - they work well for you which is good - but don't diss coilovers you did not try, especially by making this kind of generalization.

^^^Again, your opinion. A majority who have experienced both at this point don't agree with you ;)

Fine, but where is the majority who tried both types of coilovers on their personal cars?

Pretty funny stuff! I guess the hardest thing to believe is that you can achieve a more compliant ride with stiffer springs. It is one of those things that my ass is going to have to experience to believe...

unclemat, the bilstein coilovers sound pretty interesting even though you have to have a japanese girlfriend to get your hands on any.

honestly, how harsh are these compared to the stock ride?

I don't care anymore.

Every Tein product I have ever seen driven in, or talked to an owner that had them sucked! Period. They only seem to care about cheap lowering of cars and not about valving.

Have I tried the Tein for the LGT? NO. But I don't care anymore. Talk to places like RCE, or go drive in others cars.

FWIW at least a place like RCE will help you set-up your suspension and get you what you want. Other places just sell stuff off the self, or drop-ship.

Oh, and I don't know crap, I only changed my suspension set-up 16 times to get it right. Because I care the most about my suspension, even over fast spooling turbos and such.;)

Uncle Mat, why the KWs are garbage to you is beyond me. They have proven to be a very nice option for many of our subies, and have many people impressed, including the new 08 STI that TiC owns. I don't even think they sell the KWs (they have their brand) but they like them.

I did not say KWs are garbage! They are decent coilovers, and a decent choice for a street civil coilover. Price/performacne ratio is rather poor. I think Teins are better, especially if one tracks or autoxes their car.

Not sure about your 16 suspension changes, but I guess you were uninstalling and installing the same stuff for the most part :) I tried on my cars, let me count:

JDM GT Rev.C Bilsteins + JDM OEM GT springs

JDM SpecB Rev.B + Pinks

Ohilns (non-coilovers) + Pinks

KWv2

JDM SpecB Rev.C + JDM OEM SpecB springs

Bilstein PSS

Tein Flex

My rankings:

- for street/sprited driving compromise:

1. Bilstein PSS

2. JDM SpecB Rev.B + Pinks

3. Tein Flex

4. KW v2

5. JDM SpecB Rev.C + JDM OEM SpecB springs

6. Ohlins + Pinks

- for street with emphasis on comfort:

1. Bilstein PSS

2. JDM SpecB Rev.C + JDM OEM SpecB springs

3. Ohlins + Pinks

4. KW v2

5. JDM SpecB Rev.B + Pinks

6. Tein Flex

- primarily autox/track:

1. Tein Flex

2. Bilstein PSS

3. JDM SpecB Rev.B + Pinks

4. KWv2

When cost/performance factor is thrown in, the KWv2 fall off my lists....

I did not say KWs are garbage! They are decent coilovers, and a decent choice for a street civil coilover. Price/performacne ratio is rather poor. I think Teins are better, especially if one tracks or autoxes their car.

Not sure about your 16 suspension changes, but I guess you were uninstalling and installing the same stuff for the most part :) I tried on my cars, let me count:

JDM GT Rev.C Bilsteins + JDM OEM GT springs

JDM SpecB Rev.B + Pinks

Ohilns (non-coilovers) + Pinks

KWv2

JDM SpecB Rev.C + JDM OEM SpecB springs

Bilstein PSS

Tein Flex

My rankings:

- for street/sprited driving compromise:

1. Bilstein PSS

2. JDM SpecB Rev.B + Pinks

3. Tein Flex

4. KW v2

5. JDM SpecB Rev.C + JDM OEM SpecB springs

6. Ohlins + Pinks

- for street with emphasis on comfort:

1. Bilstein PSS

2. JDM SpecB Rev.C + JDM OEM SpecB springs

3. Ohlins + Pinks

4. KW v2

5. JDM SpecB Rev.B + Pinks

6. Tein Flex

- primarily autox/track:

1. Tein Flex

2. Bilstein PSS

3. JDM SpecB Rev.B + Pinks

4. KWv2

When cost/performance factor is thrown in, the KWv2 fall off my lists....

Trust me, I know all about your suspension changes.;)

And yes, my number 16 is correct.:cool:

Other then the Ohlins coil-overs I don't know what coil-overs would be best suited for DD duties, w/ a performance twist other then the KWs or RCE equivalents.

Maybe you are right about the Teins, maybe they got one product correct!:eek:

I also think you may have a point on the KWs (having stiffer rear springs vs the same rate), that explains my posts earlier.

This is a good review unclemat. Now if you could post this in the suspension review area, it will really save the new guys some time.

Little Blue, you should write up all your setups and rank them like this.

This is the kind of info will save everyone time and money. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for the suggestion. Yeah, I have been reading all the coments on this setup, and it sounds pretty good. I am at the point where I just need to get a ride in some other cars that have these setups. Everyone has been really helpful in here.

Any spring that lowers the car on konis, or bils will have less compression travel then optimal IMO.

That's true. That's clear advantage of coilovers.

• 2 months later...

Archived