LegacyGT.com

Oil Leak

So I have an oil leak coming from the 2-4 cylinder side of the engine, at the side towards facing the driver. I think pictures explain it a lot easier, so here:

http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/3058/leakyboltvf9.th.jpg

I tightened it and it seems like there's a bit less, but still a leak. Is there some sort of seal on it? Also, why is there a hole there that has pressurized oil behind it?

I initially thought valve cover, but from this view it doesnt look like it. If this is a DOHC 2.5L I might say cam seal, but don't hold me to that. Just a possibility. Relatively inexpensive to repair.

Hmmm, and do you have a view of it from overhead? (thinking it may be something else...)

I've just done a single turbo conversion to my GTB (JDM model, it started life as a 2L twin turbo, not 2.5 N/A), And i did notice that very bolt. I don't know what it does, but it's on the 2L turbo heads too. AFAIK it's blocking nothing special (i'm probably wrong), but yes, there is oil behind it, so it could be what's leaking. At a guess, it could be there to make bleeding the oil easy or something stupid. Who knows???

Just for a bit of trivia: There's one on the front of the head too, which was used as the oil supply line for the primary turbo on the Twin Turbo's. the bolt hole i'm told exsists on normal heads, but is used for nothing. The reason it's there? We can only assume uniformity accross the board reduces manufacturing costs! The bolt you show as leaking i actually stole and put in the hole at the front of the head so i could get the cambelt on. I later found a bolt the right size put it in half way, then stuck some silicone glue around the edge of it to stop it from leaking. That's possible with no oil in the engine, but it would probably go all wrong if you tried that (the oil would stop the silicone from sealing, and make things worse)

Archived