LegacyGT.com

Got Tagged

It actually started pouring rain after the accident... It was totally dry when it happened. All the cars involved in the accident were not driveable. Everyone had insurance from good companies...and the best thing is I was at a stop out of traffic when it happened so i am not at fault in any way.

The pics aren't that great....the body guy said the frame rails on the front of the car are toast and the engine trans would need to come out to weld in new rails....so it's not going to be cheap. The seat belt tensioner went off along with the airbag as well. He said easily over 10k worth of damage. We tried to crank the car at the shop and the engine wouldn't turn at all.

The kind of damage inflicted by a hit like that can easily propagate through the whole construction. Especially when the frame is hit from the side like that - it's not really designed for that type of impact. Also check along the roof gutters to see if spot weldings has been made visible. They can also have appeared in other locations, and that indicate that the weldings now are under stress, in which case the cage is weakened. And if the engine has been moved the transmission may have taken a beating all the way back to the rear differential. And since the engine doesn't crank you can be certain that it has taken some beating - as has the gearbox. And damaged bearings is not the kind of fun you want.

But of course - it's up to the insurance company to decide.

453747.png

Having worked at the family body shop for several years, I would say it is totalled. But glad to hear that your okay at least. Hey, at least your car got totalled by someone driving a mercedes rather than some poor shlep driving a beat up honda civic or something.

sorry to hear about your accident, but atleast you are ok.

A couple things I wanna add,

1) Welding in new frame rails?? = Total loss, don't let them tell you otherwise

2) Engine doesn't crank? Even if they don't do the above, express your concern that you don't want to be driving a car to only find that damage to the engine will rear its ugly head miles down the road. You either want it all replaced now, or total it.

3) Someone above mentioned looking for signs of stress along the rest of the vehicle, make sure you do this, again, if there are signs = done.

4) It's not your fault, the insurance company of the other driver has to take care of this, so tell your insurance company you are NOT budging from the total loss of your vehicle and you want its proper value. They have to fight on your behalf, don't let them put any influence or pressure on you at any point. Also do NOT speak to the agents from the other company if they call you, direct them to your agent.

• 1 month later...
Most anything can be repaired these days, the guage on totalling it out is repair cost vs value. The real question is how will you feel about driving it after its repaired? The most important thing is you're OK. If you really are the Subie did its job well!

I've rebuilt a few damaged cars: if the doors still open and shut smoothly, don't have any odd gaps, and the front screen isn't broken ( and/or has gaps between the glass and the pillars ) then it's typically a straightforward repair

Watch for SILVER as a repaint; it's an *extremely* difficult Color to colormatch correctly; and it's not just the Color it's the depth of finish and shine that makes a repair very obvious to a Pro ( unless the painter is at least as good a Pro! ) Have a *real* good look at the repaint ( in sunlight ) before you sign any kind of release form accepting the repair

The Airbags are the $$$$ bit

I would guess unless there is some expensive damage we can't see ( like an axle or driveshaft punched through a transmission casing ) Insurance will rebuild your car

Good thing you weren't hurt; the Leggy seems to have stood up to the collision pretty well

Let us know what happens ( ! )

GW

JapanpartsLLC

* Since 1996 *

Seems awfully high. My bumper was $200 + $100 to paint it. I realize its of a different generation, but its made out of the same stuff and isn't too different. Whats really ridiculous are American cars. Bumper for a Dodge Stratus: $600! Why? And then you have electronics. I was gonna cost me $150 for a new foglight. So I spent $120 instead on JDM ones.

No offense dude, but your "estimates" aren't even close! I was just tboned 3 weeks ago and the estimate was almost 4 grand for two doors and the rocker panel. That estimate is with no airbags deploying even.

Parts are expensive, and labor is typically $40-80/hr. The damage on the car in this thread is easily close to a total. At a bare minimum, I'd say $8-9k.

Go Cardinals!

Don't forget that once a car has been in a crash there are a lot of complications that can cause a later crash to be a lot worse for the passengers in the car. The crumpling may be in all wrong places due to changes in any metal that is re-stretched.

Anyone that has been bending a piece of wire a few times has probably noted that it hardens before it finally breaks from metal fatigue - and the crumpling of a car in a crash is a very sensitive business today. This means essentially that as soon as the airbags has deployed the car has crumpled and then the protection has been weakened.

453747.png

Don't forget that once a car has been in a crash there are a lot of complications that can cause a later crash to be a lot worse for the passengers in the car. The crumpling may be in all wrong places due to changes in any metal that is re-stretched.

Anyone that has been bending a piece of wire a few times has probably noted that it hardens before it finally breaks from metal fatigue - and the crumpling of a car in a crash is a very sensitive business today. This means essentially that as soon as the airbags has deployed the car has crumpled and then the protection has been weakened.

Hmmm, that's really case-by-case; it doesn't take a bent frame to trigger Airbags; the sensors are in the front fenders on most cars

Its quite possible to trigger Airbags in a car-parking type collision without bending a chassis rail or any of the "crumple zone" components at all

It's quite possible to trigger Airbags with a collision and still have a car that can be driven away!

The real mysteries are the massive collisions where the Airbags don't deploy...

I bought a GC-8 Impreza from an Auto Auction in Japan where exactly that type of accident had happened and the repair involved simply unbolting the damaged front fender and hood + hood hinges and bolting on parts that were the same color off the same Model; no alignment issues and 2 hours in the shop; reinstalling a new Airbag + modules and rearming this, another 2 hours

This was a single Airbag model that had hit a *shopping trolley* in a carpark, and had triggered the Airbag; the damage to the front bumper was so slight the marks polished out of the paint

I've seen one substantially repaired Ferrari ( hail damaged, in an Australian panel shop ) where the repairers used twice as many spotwelds as the factory to reskin the roof, and may well have ended up with a stronger car than Stock

Having said that; rebuilding cars that have been substantially bent out of shape should be subject to very strict inspection after any rebuild

In some countries an independent engineering survey ( and compliance certification ) is required after a major rebuild following accident damage; and/or a re-registration from a salvage title + that's not a bad thing

The complications involved in a major rebuild not done right can include:

Windscreens that leak; warning lights in the dash that light up like christmas trees, ( an Airbag warning light that won't go out being the most common ) mismatched paint, misaligned panels, bent driveshafts, transmission/motors with hairline cracks ( esp. Alloy engines around motor and transmission mounts ) that leak oil....

GW

JapanpartsLLC

Archived