LegacyGT.com

Where can I get my Kartboy short shifter installed?

Where can I get my Kartboy Short shifter and bushings installed for cheap? I talked with a custom tune shop and there labor rate was 75/hour? So it would come out to be like 115 dollars.... I also asked the Subaru dealer, and went to a Pepboys and they both said they can't do something like that. There has got to be a better and cheaper place to get it installed any suggestions?

At $75/hour, it should cost you about $40.

There are a couple of how-to threads here with pictures, it's a pretty straightforward DIY.

Here it is in a nutshell:

* Place two 14mm socket wrenches, a flathead screwdriver and a philips screwdriver in the driver's seat. Also a couple paper towels a philips screwdriver, a pair of snap-ring pliers, and any needle-nose pliers you might have.

* Get in the passenger seat.

* Unscrew the shift knob. Takes ~15 turns.

* Grab the trim around the shifter, near the e-brake, and pull up. It pops out.

* Unplug the power/light connector for the lighter/ashtray.

* Put the shift knob / boot / trim / ashtray in the back seat.

* With a phillips screwdriver, remove the two screws holding on the side trim. This step is optional, but it gives you a little more room and keeps the trim safe.

* Lift up on the trim pieces, starting near the e-brake. They will pop-pop-pop out, then wiggle them free and place in back seat.

* Remove the rubber/foam inner boot/gasket thing (just pull) and put it in the back seat.

* With two 14mm stockets (or crescent wrenches, if you want), remove the bolt that holds the shift linkage to the shift lever.

* The hardest part: remove the snap ring at the base of the shift lever. Always takes me several tries and little bit of profanity. I have two sets of snap ring pliers and I'm not convinced they're really any better than needle-nose pliers, provided you have a pair that can fit into the holes in the snap ring. (After finding the first set of snap-ring pliers no better than needle-noses, I bought a second set (they were only about $15) and I'm still not convinced they're useful here.)

* Pull up on the shift lever. Pop.

* Move the basket thingy and o-rings to the new lever, and also move as much grease as you can. In my case, there was far more than enough available. This is where the paper towels come in handy.

* Also move the bushings from the old lever to the new one. This is where the flathead comes in handy - to get the bushings out, you may need to tap on them from the inside.

* Now follow these steps in reverse.

snap ring pliers- 15 bucks

STS- 100 bucks

keeping new car parts in the box- priceless

For me... snap ring pliers.... - 15 bucks

STS - FREE (modified my stocker)

Thread die - 10 bucks.

;)

For me... snap ring pliers.... - 15 bucks

STS - FREE (modified my stocker)

Thread die - 10 bucks.

;)

you're braver then I

my install didn't require the pliers though

go me!

obedience to church and state is subjugation to the unjust authority of men

Minor update to my instructions above. Not that you'll need them anymore, since that pictorial is so much better.

Also, that says 12mm sockets, and I thought I used 14mm. It won't be hard to figure out which is correct though. :)

Hardest part of the front bushings is getting the OEM bushing out of the linkage, but there are ways to make it easier, like using the bolt to force the spongy bushing out..

Plus some ppl are unbolting/dropping all kinds of stuff to get at the bushings and it's simply not nessesary. My big/clumsy hands had no problem getting in there..

Archived