LegacyGT.com

330 Vs LGT Highway..sort of

Not much of a Race, he got a huge jump on me, was already passing me when I started, I was doing about 75 and him about 90. I know he had an intake/exhaust don't know what else. You know how it is..he slowly pulls the whole time because of the jump..I hate that. I let off pretty quick b/c a cop spot was coming up, he ripped past it probably going 120.

I think a fair race between these 2 would be close. Anyone gone up against a 330 yet?

I have a 330 but I haven't gone up against one. I think the LGT would pull away a bit until the turns came up. By the way intake and exhuast means nothing on the 330 bascially its just stock cuz performance gains take a lot more then that.

Song of Post- Led Zeppelin- Hot Dog

'05 Black Legacy GT Wagon 5-spd

'02 Topaz/Black 330Ci 5-spd

Drift Ryder's School of Rally Arts, coming to an Australia near you.

judging by modern racer.com, they are pretty even. the bimmer would probably take the stock GT in some of the twistys....in good weather.

BMS 330i:

Engine : 6 cylinder, DOHC, front engine RWD

Displacement : 2,979 cc

Valve : 24 valves, 4 valves per cylinder

Transmission : 5/6-spd manual, 5-spd automanual, 6-spd SMG

Fuel economy : city - 19-21 mpg

**************************** highway - 27-30 mpg

Suspension : F - Independent MacPherson strut

************************ R - Independent multi-link

Brakes : F - Vented discs

*************** R - Vented discs

Horsepower : 225 hp @ 5900 rpm, 235 hp(Perf. pack)

Torque : 214 lb-ft @ 3500 rpm, 221 lb-ft(Perf.pack)

Redline : unknown

Top speed : 128 mph(electronically limited)

0-60 mph : 5.8 sec.(manual Perf. pack), 6.2 sec.(manual), 7.0 sec.(auto)

0-¼ mile : 14.8 sec. @ 95.0 mph(manual)

60-0 braking distance : 124 ft

200 ft skidpad : 0.86 g(standard), 0.90 g(Sport)

I dunno how reliable Modernracer.com is but anyways the numbers look about right..Still 14.8 in the quarter unless the perf pack drops that a bunch, given equal drivers Id say the LGT would walk in a straight race, twisties I dunno, but I heard the LGT does 69mph in slalom, I'd have thought the awd would make the LGT better in twisties ...

2003 BMW 330i Performance Package

Price, base/as tested $34,800/$40,095 Vehicle layout Front engine, rwd, 4-door, 5-pass sedan Engine 3.0L/235-hp I-6, DOHC, 4 valves/cyl Performance330i Perf Pkg ('03 330i Sport) 0-60 mph, sec6.1 (5.8) 1/4 mile, sec @ mph14.42 @ 96.88

(14.30 @ 96.51) Braking, 60-0 mph, ft109 (134) Skidpad, g0.84 (0.86) 600-ft slalom, mph67.5 (64.9) EPA mpg, city/hwy21/30 On sale in U.S.Currently

Here's what motortrend said, yep looks close to LGT, but looks like w/ equal drivers LGT would still walk in all areas but not by much...

Doesn't the 330 M Package has more power over the std 330?

That's a sneaky bugger. Oh well...

You speak of the ZHP(Performance Package) adds new cams and light buggers up in the bay for a total of 235/222lb ft vs the standard 225/214lb ft but the torque comes higher due to the different cams. It also has a different excuast, springs, wheels, blah blah, front kit to make it look different. Its not much different in performance straight line, slightly better in the corners vs non 18 inch equiped 3ers. I have the 18s and I've driven a friends 330i ZHP with springs and the car did not handle all that much better, though less body roll was evident. I still don't think that in good weather the Legacy would stand a chance in the turns, and I'm speaking from real world feel not a bunch of silly magazines numbers.

Song of Post- Sublime- Right Back

I still don't think that in good weather the Legacy would stand a chance in the turns, and I'm speaking from real world feel not a bunch of silly magazines numbers.

I wish I could say I have driven the 330, Im sure they are awesome, love BMWs.

Unfortunately "real world feel" can't be measured objectively. But "silly magazines numbers" can so theyre generally safer to go by...

i've driven my folks' 330ci. my "real world feel" concludes that a LGT will stomp it from a straight line. Even with highway speeds, the GT picks up real quick no thanks to that 'quoted' 250hp/250ft-lb. No idea about twisties as I didn't take it to any autoX. But given that LGTs are saddled with the wonderful RE92s, even a Corolla S will walk the GT on the twisties. LOL! :D

One thing about BMW, they are hard as to get any real cheap mods that work. And any mod only gives slight performance re the mods you are talking about on the 330i. The 330i develops the same power but overall, the GT would most likely outhandle the 330i in the twisties, a race 0 - 60 the GT should win 100+ the 330i would own you.

Adam.

The 330i develops are the same power but overall, the GT would most likely outhandle the 330i in the twisties, a race 0 - 60 the GT should win 100+ the 330i would own you.

Adam.

I definatley don't agree with that. I agree 100 plus the 330 might have a chance with better gearing but I don't think the GT, especially not with its body roll and shoddy stock tires would have a chance in the twisties.

Song of Post- Sublime- Boss DJ

Bring your 330i downunder and race against the GT here with our stock tyres. The RE92's are no good and will understeer the GT more, but with our RE040A stock tyres, I think you will find a different car under the skin.

Adam.

I definatley don't agree with that. I agree 100 plus the 330 might have a chance with better gearing but I don't think the GT, especially not with its body roll and shoddy stock tires would have a chance in the twisties.

Song of Post- Sublime- Boss DJ

The 330 ZHP has an amazing stock suspension. It is so supple yet so composed at the same time - and there is zero wheel gap on that car. Frigging amazing.

This and other comments made goes to show that Subaru is far from matching BMW. I mean here we are comparing the GT with a meer 330. What about the M3, M5, M6, etc. These are the real "GT" equivalents. Subaru have a lot to do to catch up, if that's what they want to do. I'm not just taking about performance either. Still, the GT is a mighty car for the price and that's why I bought one. Love it but I do hope they come up with a super-STi version with all the appointments.

Huh? How on earth can u compare a car that costs half the price of an M and expect it to match it? Man some of you are really something. ;)

The LGT is a competitor to the 330 with the price of a 320! And yet, in terms of sheer acceleration power, the GT will eat up the current 330. Not sure about the upcoming 255hp one though. I still firmly believe that the Archilles heel to the GT is the RE92s.

Also, I wouldn't want to compare a GT wagon against a 330ci in terms of handling. Any one would know the differences b/t a wagon and a sport coupe. ;)

BTW, for those who thinks a lowered car equates better handling... then u're quite misinformed and must've graduated from the School of Civic's Cut Springs 101 class. :)

GT Makes quite a bit more power than the 330, especially when you consider that the GTs 250/250 is more like 265/285 due to understating. In a straight line I have no doubt the GT would smoke the 330 even w/ perf package. In the twisties given our shiite tires, likely the 330 would do better, but give the GT a "performance package" ie replace the springs and tires and there would be a different animal that would eat the 330 in all areas not just in a line.

This and other comments made goes to show that Subaru is far from matching BMW. I mean here we are comparing the GT with a meer 330. What about the M3, M5, M6, etc. These are the real "GT" equivalents. Subaru have a lot to do to catch up, if that's what they want to do. I'm not just taking about performance either.

Ummmm...lemme see here, Subaru Legacy GT vs. All the M cars? Why dont you try STi vs. M that would be a bit more fair, the Legacy GT is not their top end model and cant be compared to "M" brands. Not to mention the fact that you can buy at least 2-3 LGTs for the price of an M car. Put the WRX STi up against the M and then youll see a comparison. Until then I believe the fairest BMW comparison is w/ the 330i,xi,ci, if you wanna talk super-high priced performance cars, run a stage II LGT w/ $2000 in mods vs an M and see what happens...

Guest JessterCPA
Ummmm...lemme see here, Subaru Legacy GT vs. All the M cars? Why dont you try STi vs. M that would be a bit more fair, the Legacy GT is not their top end model and cant be compared to "M" brands. Not to mention the fact that you can buy at least 2-3 LGTs for the price of an M car. Put the WRX STi up against the M and then youll see a comparison. Until then I believe the fairest BMW comparison is w/ the 330i,xi,ci, if you wanna talk super-high priced performance cars, run a stage II LGT w/ $2000 in mods vs an M and see what happens...

I think comparing an Sti with any M is an unfair match. BMW could easily produce a modern day 2002 that would spank an Sti. Instead it produces an M3 with just about every creature comfort you could want, and it still is an incredible performance car. Put a typical BMW M owner in an Sti, and they probably will say something like "Boy that car is fast, but it feels like a cheap car".

Is it expensive? Darn right it is.

Is it worth it? Well, I think it is.

Comparing a LGT with a 330 is a mor fair comparison, but only over the long term will it be a valid comparison. The 3 series has been recognized practically forever for top notch driving cars. LGT's have only been playing that game for 9 months or so.

I think comparing an Sti with any M is an unfair match.

Well I agree that they arent a good comparision from the amenities/lux standpoint, but perf wise they are, in any case, BMW makes nice cars but until we get the Legacy STi over here 330 is gonna have serve as BMW's LGT competition (even tho it costs way more). And frankly I think the LGT competes quite well even with crappy tires...

u're playing a lot for that 2" blue and white badge on the hood. But some people like that. BMW makes great cars. But for the price, there's alot of great alternatives. The gap is very narrow and to some when u factor in TCO, BMW may not be a good buy after all. In fact other than the 3-series, all BMWs are not listed as recommended buys in Consumer Reports whereas all Subarus are recommended buys. Why the X5 and the 7-series are under the "best avoided" category. Makes u go hmmm..... huh?

Archived