LegacyGT.com

Help me pick a new summer tire

ShadowImg

Alright, so my beloved Potenza S-03 PPs are no longer made, and I'm having a hell of a time finding a decent replacement for them. The RE050A doesn't seem like it stands up to the S-03 in all the reviews I see, and the RE-01R goes too far into the track tire, and loses the wet performance. I went and talked to the guys at Autotire, and they recommended the RE750 -- which looks like it's actually discontinued for the RE760, which while they get good reviews, they don't seem to be recommended for being pushed quite as far as the S-03s allowed for.

Give me some suggestions folks, right now the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric is the best I've come up with, but I don't know anyone who's driven on these. ContiSport 3s get good reviews too, but they're described as being pretty unfeeling for a performance tire, and most people don't seem to like them even though they perform well. Pilot Sport PS2s are another, but they don't seem to rate high enough on performance to justify the fact they're about 20-25% more expensive than all their competition.

Size will most likely be 225/40R18, though I'm debating sticking with 225/45R17. Fire some suggestions/experiences over, especially if you've run on the S03s and moved onto something you like better.

I'm open to suggestions for different sizes (we have huge potholes here and uneven entrances that give nasty massive impacts). I really loved the S-03s in 225/40R17 on my 2.5RS, the only thing I disliked about them was at the last 25% or so of their life, they got waaaay loud. Minor annoyance was how much they tramline, but that was actually kind of a nice feeling too -- makes you feel very connected.

Size will most likely be 225/40R18, though I'm debating sticking with 225/45R17.

Ahh, is there a typo here, or do you have two sets of wheels to choose from?

In either of these cases, though, my choice would be Goodyear F1 GS-D3s for purely summer use. Very grippy on dry pavement and remarkably solid in rain, with good ride characteristics. HPH

Nope, haven't picked the wheels yet, so I'm open to going either route -- haven't quite decided yet. The Eagle F1s seem to get great reviews everywhere, and Tire Rack seems to give them the top tier most of the time. Sounds like that will be the route I go -- now just to figure out what the reasoning between the F1 Asymmetric and the F1 GS-D3 is. From a purely eyes on tread, it seems like the Asymm would work better, but hard to say.

I got GS-D3s in 225/45/17 a little while ago and I'm happy with them. They are good in the dry and I haven't had any problems in heavy rain. I haven't done any real aggressive driving on them yet, but for running around town and fast exit ramps they are nice.

I was going to go with S-03s, but as you know you can't get them. I currently have one brand new S-03 (bought used wheels and they had one new tire and 3 bald tires). I have no idea what I'm going to do with it since you can't get a matching set.

Toyo T1 r's here. I currently use 225/45/18. New they handle a bit mushy but put some miles on them and they really turn into a great summer tire but can handle rain just as well. Similar to GS-D3's (Which I had previous to the T1R's) . Toyo RA 1 are excellent autocross/summer tires but wear out fast.

I don't have a LGT yet but I plan on running the only tires I've every bought and thats Nitto. I've ran the 555 and loved them and now I've got the Neo Gens and they're great also. Go to Tires.com and type your size in and see what they've got for yeah

Archived