LegacyGT.com

Looking for a used Tranny

atcvader

Here's one out of a 06 LGT turbo on Ebay with 10K miles on it. They want $2500 and it's located in Denver,CO:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=013&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=230251734299&rd=1

I'm looking for a spare to build too, but don't want to pay that much for a hot spare that I'm going to rip apart and re-build anyway.

Let's kick this pig!

That's kinda what I though too. It may have only 10-12K miles on it, but you can fubar a transmission in less than that. I basically just need the case to start a new build with.
Let's kick this pig!

That's kinda what I though too. It may have only 10-12K miles on it, but you can fubar a transmission in less than that. I basically just need the case to start a new build with.

You'll find one much cheaper I'm sure.

If I remember correctly I sold my JDM geared 5 speed out of my RS for about 1k? That was with a clutch too, I think.

You can always find plenty of Tranny's on some dark corners in LA... :D

I've been holding off on that one since I first read the title:lol:. I was thinking... heck your in SoCal and can't find a tranny? You must not be looking very hard:lol::lol:...

Let's kick this pig!

No dice here either.

I'm looking for gears too. Does anybody know if we use the same physical gears and shafts as the WRX 5MT?

I'm looking at the Ralliscec gears for my eminent tranny re-build:

RST-1141R Type STi Gear Set for 5MT '99-'07 $1600

(Ratios -- 3.166 / 1.882 / 1.296 / 0.972 / 0.738)

http://www.rallispec.com/prod_trans.htm

I'm looking at the STI set since it has the same gear ratio's as our stockers. I just need something a little stronger than the stock gear in 1st and 2nd, but don't want to spend $4K to get them.

Let's kick this pig!

No dice here either.

I'm looking for gears too. Does anybody know if we use the same physical gears and shafts as the WRX 5MT?

I'm looking at the Ralliscec gears for my eminent tranny re-build:

RST-1141R Type STi Gear Set for 5MT '99-'07 $1600

(Ratios -- 3.166 / 1.882 / 1.296 / 0.972 / 0.738)

http://www.rallispec.com/prod_trans.htm

I'm looking at the STI set since it has the same gear ratio's as our stockers. I just need something a little stronger than the stock gear in 1st and 2nd, but don't want to spend $4K to get them.

The Non-RAs (I believe the ones you have listed above) ARE basically what we have in our transmissions.

Yes they will interchange between transmission cases fine, but if you want a stronger set I'd recommend possibly looking at PPGs.

someone told me that we have the push style and impreza are pull, so it wouldn't work

Depends what year,

Non turbos etc all had push type, like ours.

WRXs from 06+ have push type, like ours.

Only 02-05 WRX, 04+ STi, and 6speed legacy's have pull type.

(This is regarding USDM cars, not overseas)

I'm trying to find just a 1st-2nd combo of the PPG's, but haven't been able to track them down yet. They want about $3800 for a 1st-4th set and I'm really only interested in 1st-2nd. I'd like to keep parts to under $2K if possible.

First gear is a little chewed in my current tranny, but everything else is fine. I'm just looking to do a somewhat low cost re-build on this one and then do a full dog box when I find a used tranny to start from later.

Let's kick this pig!

I'm trying to find just a 1st-2nd combo of the PPG's, but haven't been able to track them down yet. They want about $3800 for a 1st-4th set and I'm really only interested in 1st-2nd. I'd like to keep parts to under $2K if possible.

First gear is a little chewed in my current tranny, but everything else is fine. I'm just looking to do a somewhat low cost re-build on this one and then do a full dog box when I find a used tranny to start from later.

If your car is driving right now, baby it until you get the transmission set you want. A warning though, I've driven a couple different sets of dogboxes, the fun factor is great, but they get annoying after a while.

I forgot the name of the place that does PPG installs for all the nasioc guys but I've heard they are good and I'm sure they can get you the 1-2 set.

I think it's AndrewTech that sells and installs PPG's. I'm just looking to go one more round on the stockish transmission for the street and then when I build the dogbox; it'll become a trailer queen and be a dedicated track vehicle so noise at that point doesn't really matter.
Let's kick this pig!

I think it's AndrewTech that sells and installs PPG's. I'm just looking to go one more round on the stockish transmission for the street and then when I build the dogbox; it'll become a trailer queen and be a dedicated track vehicle so noise at that point doesn't really matter.

Ah I see, well call them I'm sure they'd have some OEM gears around.

I don't know much about tranny's but the mechanic just told me I might only need the transmission casing... Is that a good sign? Is it still just as expensive as a new tranny??? Thanks

From what you said in the other thread only the casing was damaged around the release bearing "snout". Isn't that correct?

If so yah, you just need the case, but I forgot how expensive they are new.

I really doubt your gears are messed up because of a bad TOB, the input shaft however.... I don't know.

Archived