LegacyGT.com

Filling in small divots in my rear bumper

jcs

Wouldn't you know, I park on the street at a meter, leave plenty of room for another car behind me and walk away for 1/2 hour. Well well well when I return, a mid 70's Pontiac Catalina with knife edge sharp rusty front license plate bolts has parked behind me. SURPRISE! The idiot tapped me twice and left two 3/8 inch divots in the middle of my bumper. What should I fill these with? I plan to touch up paint over the filler also. Any suggestions? Also, I was thinking about some kind of protection for the future. Ideas? Idiots in pontiacs abound........

I'm not a body guy, but I am a glue man. Actually, I manage R&D for an adhesive company. You can fill it with bondo, sand, touch-up with paint, and compound. It would probably be fine for a while. The problem is that your bumber is plastic. Being somewhat flexible and typical bondo being quite rigid, if you get tapped again, the bondo will loosen up and fall out. If you can get your hands on some kind of semi-flexible sag-resistant 2 part adhesive, urethane or even an epoxy, all the better. You could even add some of the touch-up paint (no more than 5%) to the adhesive to pigment it to match the bumper and use that to fill. Make sure your surface is clean before applying. All these materials, including bondo, are cure temperature sensitive. The warmer the ambient temp., the faster it will cure. If it's really cold out, <50F, use a hair dryer to warm the area. Not sure I'd be doing this on my new car. I'd probably just opt to buy a new cover. But I guess if it doesn't come out to your satisfaction, you can always go that route.

Archived