LegacyGT.com

Tailight Issue with 2001 Outback

Okay so my parents need some help with an issue with their car. They've got a '01 LL Bean Outback. The tailights have gone out. Its not a bulb, or a fuse, or the multiswitch (which they had checked/replaced today). It seems there is no power getting to the fuse. The hazard switch will turn the tailights on, but when you try to turn them on with the regular lights for night driving, they don't turn on. Does anyone have any idea what could be the issue? TIA!
Children's and Family Photographer http://www.AForgetMeNotMoment.com

Sedan or wagon?

Are all of the rear lights out? Tails, side markers, & license lamps?

Do the front parking lights work?

Do the rear lights (or any) come on with the parking light switch on the top of the steering column?

It is still ugly.

Since the lights come on with the "top" switch, we can assume the wiring, fuses and ground connections are OK. This would point toward the stalk switch (on the turn signal lever) or the part of the wiring harness that is unique to that switch only (any wiring shared by this switch and the parking light switch on the top of the column has to be good since that switch will turn on the lights).
It is still ugly.

Check the tail&illumination relay, it is likely to be the culprit.

The steering column switch takes power from a different fuse via a different route.

Be aware that there are relays both under the dashboard near the fuse box and in the engine compartment fuse box. Also the fuse for the steering column switch seems to be located in one box and the fuse for the parking light under driving is in the other, but I may be wrong. (I don't have the complete schematic)

453747.png

Archived