LegacyGT.com

AC Smells?

B4GT

Hi,

I've had my LGT ltd sedan for about 4 months now. Every time I turn on the AC, I notice a smell coming from the vents. It smells a bit like grease burning off. It's a very 'mechanical' smell. The smell definitely goes away when I turn off the AC for a while.

Does anyone else have this problem, or is it just me?

Thanks.

Yes a few ppl have complained about the same thing. Unsure what the fix is but do a search thru the posts and see what you come up with. Otherwise give you Dealership a call and they will point you in the right direction.

All the best.

Adam.

Sorry, I've searched for both "AC smell" and "AC odor", both didn't come up with exactly what I'm after. Am I searching for the wrong terms?

If someone can just point out if this is normal or not, I'd appreciate it. If it's not normal, I'll definitely get it checked out at next service.

Well, I don't think the oil is overfilled. I will check tomorrow.

Thing is, if that was true, then shouldn't the smell come through regardless if the AC is on or off? Right now it only smells when the AC is on.

I might have had this when I first got my car, demo w/ 7k kms even brought it to the dealership who said they couldnt replicate it. But now I think it was prob just that dirty-assed-musty-fart-smelling-clutch being burnt a little...comes through the A/C a few seconds after you do it.....

• 2 months later...

I know what this is. It's factory undercoating burning off the transmission. Subaru coats the living daylights out of the undercarriage. As the tranny heats up, the undercoating drips down onto the exhaust and that's what you smell.

When it gets a bit warmer I'm going to spray it with degreaser; otherwise, it lasts for quite some time, as much as 6 months.

Tom

FRA-GEE-LAY... It must be Italian!

Archived