LegacyGT.com

Induction cooktop?

OhBe1

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest heightsgtltd
I used to think the same way you did about gas. If you get a chance, try the induction, it's really better by a large margin

I gotta see this in person. I'm not saying I dont believe it & I'm all for trying new things. I just need to actually see things for myself.
"Barack Obama, mothaf#%@a! Barack Obama! I'm the president...of hittin' the ass!" -this is not a political view it's merely a quote from a hilarious tv show.

As already pointed out, with induction you can only use a magenetic metal pan. Does this mean the teflon I love oh so much won't work? Can you have a SS pan with a teflon coating and it will work? I can't stand food stickin' to muh shizzle.

I used to think the same way you did about gas. If you get a chance, try the induction, it's really better by a large margin

i second. induction FTW !!

most cast-iron cookware is naturally "non-stick" so with the induction range, this would work well. not sure about the teflon coated pieces though......

Guest heightsgtltd
As already pointed out, with induction you can only use a magenetic metal pan. Does this mean the teflon I love oh so much won't work? Can you have a SS pan with a teflon coating and it will work? I can't stand food stickin' to muh shizzle.

IIRC, you can use all All-Clad pans for induction. They make non-stick ones

Guest heightsgtltd

don't get defensive :lol:

The non-stick pans have a teflon coating, they aren't made of teflon :)

Not to mention, they are pretty dangerous to use :spin:

yeah teflon aint exactly great
"Barack Obama, mothaf#%@a! Barack Obama! I'm the president...of hittin' the ass!" -this is not a political view it's merely a quote from a hilarious tv show.

Gas > Induction > Electric

I've used all 3 and for serious cooks, Gas trumps all.

________________________________________________ [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1980"]'05 BSM OBXT Row-your-own, W.I.P. :rolleyes:[/URL] [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1242"]'06 Shrek B # 64 - The car the wife loved to hate :( Sold...[/URL]

FWIW, Circulon has a coated ("guaranteed toughest" non-stick coating) induction-compatible 10-piece basic set for $300. Tempting.

As for teflon - I used to hate it because of it's fragility. But I now have 3 Calphalon teflon (can't remember the name of the line) that I'm now using for most sauteing, etc.

06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

+1

But if you get induction you can't beat All-Clad for pots/pans. You can usually find the starter packages for about $400 but the nicer large pots can cost $250 and up each with lids.

Guest heightsgtltd

:lol:

Interesting position, but I completely disagree.

Just curious, but what induction did you use and why do you think gas is better?

Guest heightsgtltd
+1

But if you get induction you can't beat All-Clad for pots/pans. You can usually find the starter packages for about $400 but the nicer large pots can cost $250 and up each with lids.

:confused: All-clad works well regardless of gas or induction

Guest heightsgtltd
BTW, not only is this my opinion, but I know people at Gourmet magazine test kitchen who share the same view towards Induction, but what do they know :lol:

:lol:

Interesting position, but I completely disagree.

Just curious, but what induction did you use and why do you think gas is better?

I like induction but:

You can't char/toast peppers

Wok cooking is a pain

You can't cook when the power is out

I can't use any of my good copper pots/pans

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

Guest heightsgtltd

I can't argue on the charring peppers thing..

As for woks, that's true with all gas burners as well, unless you have one that allows the wok to actually sit in a ring.

True about the power, though not sure how often this is going to be an issue :lol:

I'll definitely give you that about the copper pans. That is one thing that does kind of suck.

That being said, I'd still get Induction for my next cooktop

True about the power, though not sure how often this is going to be an issue :lol:

you'd be amazed how often the power goes out when you're outside the city. I swear when I lived in queens we NEVER lost power. Then when I moved to the burbs it happened like once every 2 months. Sometimes I come home from work & everything's flashing 12:00. Doesn't matter the weather either. I could be a nice sunny day & that'll still happen sometimes.

I like induction but:

You can't char/toast peppers

Why not? Lightly oil pan, get hot, insert peppers?

Wok cooking is a pain

Compared to a conventional electric cooktop? BTW, our current cooktop is an old GE with metal disk heating elements on a glass surface, not the newer, less efficient (?) all-ceramic types.

You can't cook when the power is out

True - the irony here being that this all started with the intent to convert the main fireplace to propane, then figuring we might as well run it to the kitchen, then forgetting all about th firplace since we have so much wood anyway....

I can't use any of my good copper pots/pans

or the Calphalon I'm accustomed to.

06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

Is there a secret underground government facility in your neighborhood? EMFs can be a bitch.

Actually, it's the EMF from the cooktop that's my main concern. Not much in the way of studies out there.

Archived