LegacyGT.com

Stability Control (VDC, for example)

Alright, well, I thought this would be the best place to ask this question, even though the car that we are wondering about is my dad's 2006 Audi A6. though it applies to any car, such as Subaru's VDC system.

My dad asked me and I don't know the answer. I know that these systems can limit the engine power, toss the power around to different corners, and do the same with braking, to keep the car going in a straight line, but we were wondering whether these systems work when you are coasting (e.g. no gas and no brakes.) I almost want to say that they only limit/control what the driver is doing, but don't initiate that stuff on their own. Maybe the latest cars do, but what about my dad's car, or, for example, the early (or current, I guess) VDC systems? Thanks!

The system is active and works at all times.

If your rounding a corner no gas/brakes on a icy day and you start to slide off course based on the motion sensor(not sure of real name) and steering wheel angle it will activate the VDC. The car will brake a single rear wheel and downgrade power to bring it back on intended course.

There are a lot of different ways that manufacturers can implement stability control, I don't think you can generalize much. I'm pretty sure VDC means something different every couple years, for that matter.

In theory, a stability control system could brake one or both inside wheels to help the car rotate. In practice, would any of them? You'd probably have to try it to know for sure. Manufactures usually describe stuff in the most awe-inspiring terms without really explaining what happens in what situations, which is probably much more mundane.

Archived