LegacyGT.com

5EAT 2008 LGT - stall under heavy acceleration while manually shifting 1st to 2nd

Soda Popinski

Today I almost crapped my pants. Off a flat start at a red light, I had to merge onto the highway. I essentially put the pedal all the way to the floor, had my 5EAT in 1st gear. When it hit 4000 RPM's I pressed the stick foward to upshift to 2nd. I felt the tranny shift, but the power dropped out and the car stalled.

Not cool.

I put it in neutural and restarted the car.

I don't get this problem when punching it in D. Only when I manually shift.

On the way home tonight I tried again, and this time it didn't stall but there is a definate hesitation when shifting between 1st and 2nd in manual mode only. Paddle shifters do the same thing.

It's almost as if I cannot get one smooth acceleration regardless of gas pedal location... even when I hold my foot completely still I still get that little 'hump' from 1st into 2nd. The rest of the gears are fine accelerating out, shifting at 5500.

Ideas, other than I'm a bad driver? Is this a driver error or is this a known 5EAT / turbo thing?

Today I almost crapped my pants. Off a flat start at a red light, I had to merge onto the highway. I essentially put the pedal all the way to the floor, had my 5EAT in 1st gear. When it hit 4000 RPM's I pressed the stick foward to upshift to 2nd. I felt the tranny shift, but the power dropped out and the car stalled.

Not cool.

I put it in neutural and restarted the car.

I don't get this problem when punching it in D. Only when I manually shift.

On the way home tonight I tried again, and this time it didn't stall but there is a definate hesitation when shifting between 1st and 2nd in manual mode only. Paddle shifters do the same thing.

It's almost as if I cannot get one smooth acceleration regardless of gas pedal location... even when I hold my foot completely still I still get that little 'hump' from 1st into 2nd. The rest of the gears are fine accelerating out, shifting at 5500.

Ideas, other than I'm a bad driver? Is this a driver error or is this a known 5EAT / turbo thing?

I have run into this problem (or something somewhat similar, anyway) before... but it wasn't with my LGT. It was with an Audi at about 93K miles on the odometer. I wouldn't even begin to try to diagnose this problem, take it into the dealership. Any other weird behavior? CEL? Wife put 87 octane in the tank?

Like I said, the only time I have run into this problem before was with an Audi, but it never actually outright stalled. It seemed like it was a problem with the TCU getting confused about where it should shift based on pedal position. I would floor it, hit about 2800 RPM and the tach would sweep all the way to redline and then 2nd would engage.

Is that similar to what's going on? Just with that stall? Seriously if that's the case I would say it's not drivable. Does this condition change after the car is warmed up? With my Audi as the transmission fluid got to operating temperature, it slightly improved, and it wasn't as bad in D as it was in TipTronic.

If you do take it to a dealership, please keep us fellow 5EAT owners informed, I've been wondering about the reliability of the 5EAT.

I don't know if you're having the same issues I am, but here goes anyhow:

I have a 2008 5EAT running an AP on a 93oct stage 1 map. I've been fighting the same strange hesitation, though it was there stock too. The difference is, on the AP map, it seems a bit better, but it's still terrible.

I hit this weird zone when I'm shifting around 1->2 on a hard accel like you describe, where the car just falls flat on its face. I've actually had a good backfire happen a couple of times when it hits hard. There's another strange symptom that seems to be the same problem where the car will get into this odd surge/jerk pattern and repeat it about 4-5 times then smooth out.

I did some basic datalogging, but unfortunately 1st and 2nd gear are damned hard to make any sense out of, especially since I have no clue at all what I'm doing -- HOWEVER, I did find one thing that seems important and raised a flag to me. I hit over 18psi in 1st gear around 4000rpm, which rapidly dropped down to seeming vacuum for about another 300-400rpm, and then hit boost again (around 12psi) jumping into 2nd gear. Boost target for this map is 16.5, and when I'm not getting hesitation I see 1st/2nd peaking no higher than about 14.4.

I'm also getting a nice black layer on my exhaust tips, which leads me to believe that maybe this is a problem with the VF46 creating too much boost, the car trying to correct and release it, and dumping a crapton of fuel in as protection while letting go of it?

I've asked Cobb for some insight into what I can do to get better information, as I'm really not in any way intelligent with tuning let alone engines. My whole theory here could be completely nonsensical, it's just the most logical that I've come up with based on my very, very limited knowledge and investigation.

I'm also getting a nice black layer on my exhaust tips, which leads me to believe that maybe this is a problem with the VF46 creating too much boost, the car trying to correct and release it, and dumping a crapton of fuel in as protection while letting go of it?

I, too have a thick, black exhaust mark on the bottom of both my exhaust tips... the car only has 4300 miles.

Also a completely different transmission, final drive ratio, and a lot of other things ;)

:lol: yes, like a lot more problems and issues! :lol:

take the car to the dealer. There's something wrong! I never had an issue unless it was mod/tune related.

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived