LegacyGT.com

Extended Warranty Worth the Money?

penquinone

Hi-

I'm about to go ink the deal on my Black Legacy GT Manual, and I'm a little worried about the cost of maintenance with the Turbo thrown into the mix. My wife and I are lead foots (lead feet?) and I know that we will enjoy this car, including doing a lot of accelerating through the power band. So....

- Is it worth getting the subaru factory warranty?

- If so, what is the factory cost of the warranty?

- Can I add it on to the car after I drive off the lot?

Thanks in advance for any rapid responses, I'm going in today. I'm really friggin excited! =)

Guest JessterCPA
I got the extended warranty on mine because my 36 month lease at 18,000 miles/year would go over the factory warranty before my lease term ends. It added about $10/month. Money well spent to me.

- Is it worth getting the subaru factory warranty?

- If so, what is the factory cost of the warranty?

- Can I add it on to the car after I drive off the lot?

1) Do you plan to mod the car?

2) The cost varies by dealer from what I have seen and I believe you can negotiate the cost.

3) Yes but it’s a different warrantee that if you haven’t driven the car.

1) Do you plan to mod the car?

Uh.... no? I dunno, probably not, unless I find something good in the forums to do. I mean, it is highly mod-able. =)

2) The cost varies by dealer from what I have seen and I believe you can negotiate the cost.

I think there's a factory cost to Subaru and I'm trying to see if anyone knows what that is. I can tell from there what a good deal on it is.

3) Yes but it’s a different warrantee that if you haven’t driven the car.

Thats a bummer.

I have checked on different companies, but I have read a lot of places that the factory backed is always superior.

Incidentally, anyone ever have a Subaru Turbo go "bad" and need replaced or repaired? If so, was it gruesome on a cost basis?

That’s not what my dealer told me :confused:

Typical sales tactic. Just like if you never use the warranty it's refundable? Well, they pro-rate the refund based on mileage.

BTW, in Ohio if you bought the warranty within the past 30 days you can get a full refund for it if you decide against it.

John

I'm not sure what kind of deal you got on the extended, but consider what kind of problems you may run into with your car post warrenty. The majority of them are either workmanship issues and will show up almost imediately or they are longer term design flaws.

Since the drivetrain goes to 5/50 and comp goes to 3/36, you are prettty much covered on the workmanship. If you get a lot of failures, you need to excerise your lemon law options anyway.

For the longer term failures, I've never spend more then $1000 a year on unscheduled maintenance on ANY car. Normally, only once in a cars life, post warrenty (just had to do MAF, o2 and a few other sensors on a 120k mile BMW. $300 for that). Neither have I had any friends or aquaintences have any major problems other then a few clowns with 200k+ mile cars. Worste case is you blow your tranny or engine. Chances are you did something to deserve it anyway, but otherwise the probability of failure is vanishingly small.

Bottom line is that ext warrenties are a way for SOA and the dealer to make some extra cash, but don't help out the average driver in anyway.

My personal opinion on extended warrenties is they are a rip off...as someone else said it's a way for the dealer and Subaru to make more money. Especially since that extra $1000 or whatever is generally added to the financing and you pay interest on it.

If you still like the idea, put the money that you were going to spend on the ext. warr. into a savings account and don't touch it. If you ever have a problem with the car that $$$ will cover just about anything, and if you don't need it you have a nice chunk of change ready for you next "personal" extended warrenty.

my dealer offered me the Subaru extended warranty for $650, but I have plans of modding the car so I didn't took it. Any type of modding will void any warranty for that specific mod that you do, if you replace the sway bar SOA/dealer will void the warranty on your sway bar, if you replace the crank pulley it will void your engine and tranny warranty.

I turned it down. I was pretty rough on my WRX and it was still humming at 97,000 miles with no issues. I would imagine the LGT will be just as reliable if not more so. Besides if you mod your car then subaru will prolly not repair your car especially for power mods if the problem has anything to do with drivetrain or engine.

Archived