LegacyGT.com

Asked dealership about ECU/Stage 1 - claims instantly voids 3/36,000 mile warrantee

Is this a steaming heap of BS? I was talking to the parts guy about SPT upgrades for my 08 LGT, and then I asked, "hey can I get all this work done here?" the guy at the parts counter nodded. I also asked "what about stage 1 tuning?" and he said it shouldn't be a problem.

So... I walked over to the service manager, and asked him how much for doing the Stage1 Tuning for me. He nearly threw me out of the garrage. He got all angry and said it would immediately void my warrantee and that if they ever caught me with it installed they woud red flag my car.

WTF? What gives? What's the real story?

Is this a steaming heap of BS? I was talking to the parts guy about SPT upgrades for my 08 LGT, and then I asked, "hey can I get all this work done here?" the guy at the parts counter nodded. I also asked "what about stage 1 tuning?" and he said it shouldn't be a problem.

So... I walked over to the service manager, and asked him how much for doing the Stage1 Tuning for me. He nearly threw me out of the garrage. He got all angry and said it would immediately void my warrantee and that if they ever caught me with it installed they woud red flag my car.

WTF? What gives? What's the real story?

welcome to the forum. btw please read the rules below and do not use the "report button" to reply to another member. thanks. bosco

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67940

Stay Stock Stay Happy

Mod the ever lovin' bejesus out of it, break it, and then go cry asking to have it fixed under warranty. SOA has every right to deny a warranty claim.

I agree 100% i just know these dealers are not mod friendly. I have yet to make a claim to subaru, i prefer to fix everything myself. Also, i have no warranty left :spin:

He is probably not well educated on how warranty and modifications work.

First, Only SOA has the authority to deny a warranty claim due to abuse/mods. They also have to prove that those mods caused a failure. Now a dealer can deny warranty service and get SOA involved.

Second, Modifying the ECU does increase your chances of SOA denying a warranty claim where that part is involved.

Third, He can not flag a car. He can make remarks on your invoice, but SOA can annotate that in the warranty history report where every dealer can see that.

You always take a chance when you play, so be ready to pay.

[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

Archived