LegacyGT.com

Moaning sound heard from transmission on occasion

OzLegacy

Sounds odd, but my transmission will on occasion produce what is best described as a "moan" when I release the clutch.

I have a MY07 2.5i with 5-speed manual.

I have searched, but can't come up with any information on this.

Should I be concerned?

TIA

LOL... I'm assuming my car's fluids are fine. The car's been in for service twice since I've had the car and dealer's never said anything.

I suppose I should give the fluids a check myself.

never trust the dealership. its just one thing to rule out.

Also are you sure it is coming from the transmission and not the rear end or front end? a certain thread is coming to mind when i read this.

OTM.

Sorry I didn't mean to start a war which mainly forum people is all about ;).

I'm not exactly sure. Might be coming from the rear (or center?). When I first heard the sound I thought it was one of the diffs.

It only happens when I launch... and then only when I'm on a gradient... and then only sometimes. I'd say I've heard the sound a total of 15 times in the 4 months I've owned the car.

But let me ask you this first before i go giving my useless opinion. When this moan happens, is this on a cold start up? does it eventually go away or does it stay there?

OTM.

Sorry I didn't mean to start a war which mainly forum people is all about ;).

It happens sporadically. I tried all day to reproduce (by driving harshly) and couldn't.

There does seem to be certain environment factors that play a role in this, temperature might be a factor. I haven't paid attention. What does seem to be a factor is whether the road is level or pointing up hill. What might also be a factor (have yet to verify) is whether the car needs to be loaded down. Last couple of times I heard it I think my kids were in the back seat.

Basically, if I'm starting off in first gear on an upward incline, and release the clutch while at the same time giving the engine a bit extra throttle, I can sometimes hear the moan. It doesn't happen every time. I'd say it happens about 10% of the time, if not less.

It happens sporadically. I tried all day to reproduce (by driving harshly) and couldn't.

There does seem to be certain environment factors that play a role in this, temperature might be a factor. I haven't paid attention. What does seem to be a factor is whether the road is level or pointing up hill. What might also be a factor (have yet to verify) is whether the car needs to be loaded down. Last couple of times I heard it I think my kids were in the back seat.

Basically, if I'm starting off in first gear on an upward incline, and release the clutch while at the same time giving the engine a bit extra throttle, I can sometimes hear the moan. It doesn't happen every time. I'd say it happens about 10% of the time, if not less.

And the moan is loud... loud enough to make my wife think that the car's broken.

:lol::lol: I need to get my mind out of the gutter... :rolleyes:

:lol::lol: I need to get my mind out of the gutter... :rolleyes:

LOL... actually, I think my wife's jealous of the car since the car seems to moan louder than her on occasion :)

It's happened to mine on occasion. I think it only happens when i'm making a turn and in a gear to low say around 2k rpm and accelerate out of the corner. It comes from the rear and It's pretty loud and a low tone in nature. Personally I think its the rear diff resonating. It I lift off the pedal the moan or resonating stops.

I heard it again today, after probably a month. I was alone in the car, on flat ground. I was waiting at an intersection. As soon as the lights turned green, I started releasing the clutch and gave some gas, which is when the noise started. As soon as I heard the noise, I immediately pushed in the clutch pedal and the noise went away. I re-released the clutch and this time there was no noise. I wasn't making any turns. I was going straight across the intersection.

Temperature was 18C or 65F. Winds from the East. Sunny and dry.

I'd say the sound is actually more of a squeal than a moan.

I heard it again today, after probably a month. I was alone in the car, on flat ground. I was waiting at an intersection. As soon as the lights turned green, I started releasing the clutch and gave some gas, which is when the noise started. As soon as I heard the noise, I immediately pushed in the clutch pedal and the noise went away. I re-released the clutch and this time there was no noise. I wasn't making any turns. I was going straight across the intersection.

Temperature was 18C or 65F. Winds from the East. Sunny and dry.

I'd say the sound is actually more of a squeal than a moan.

You're going to fast, slow down. You need to be gentle... :p

Archived