LegacyGT.com

Complete Infinity System w/ Alpine head unit

rockguitarist425

I recently installed a Kappa perfect 6 1/2" component set in the rear and a referance 6 1/2" component set in the front doors of my 95' Legacy. With the stock TAPE DECK it sounded ok but not near as nice as I would like. After putting up with the same Def Leppard cassette for two weeks (only cassette I still own) I got fed up and just charged my new alpine head unit (model #CDA-9884). I figured it would sound wonderful, after all I put a much crapper set up in my 98 Isuzu Trooper and it sounds great. After all this work, I think it actually sounds only slightly better than the tape deck! I can't get the volume past 24 w/o crackling from the speakers. Am I missing something here, is there something inheirently wrong with the wiring in the legacies of that year or what. Hopefully soon I will be getting my amp to power the Kappa Perfects so I can bypass the stock wiring in the rear all together but would rather not power the referance in the front so I'm stuck with what to do with them. If anyone can give me any insight to what the problem might be that would be wonderful. I am going to double check to see if all my positive and negitive wires are connected correctly tomorrow but I just don't know what else to do. :iam:

Those components just aren't getting enough power from the head unit. I ran a set of MB Quart components off of an Alpine Deck briefly a few years ago. Once I put an amp on them it was like night and day.

Why do you want to put the "better" speakers in the back and amplify them and not the front? The reference are still good speakers, just not sure why you put the kappas in the back.

The front set of components should be the ones with the amp on them. That is just my opinion. I'm sure you have a reason for wanting to do it the other way.

I eventually want to put Kappa Perfects in the front too, it was just a lack of money that I didn't get them for the front too. I really hope that the amp does the job, I can't stand any imperfection with my music. Thanks a ton and I'll get some pics up asap.

I agree with cschnider. Componet speakers are not ment to be run off deck power. Those kappas need at least 75 wattts RMS, if not more, to really sound they way they should. That deck is probably giving them 20watts RMS. And ya, why did you put the kappas in the back? Even if you plan on gettin both in the future you still should of put the kappas in front. Its much better to have a stronger front stage than rear.

BTW Good choice on speakers. Im gettin 2 sets of kappa componets, 2 12" kappa subs, and the 4 channel infinty amp here shortly.

Thanks, I read nothing but good reviews about the kappa perfects plus I get them super cheap because I work at best buy. Plus the main reason I put the Kappas in the back is that I really dont have a lot of time to do anything between work and school so I went with the easiest install between mounting and amp hook up. I plan on returning the reference set this week and using that money toward another Kappa component set. Hopefully I can get my amp by the time my new kappas come in the mail.

Archived