LegacyGT.com

Question about Strut/Spring sounds...

fieldy72233

The guy I bought my Spec B from had Tien H Techs put on. If I go over a bump or a hit a pothole too hard, I get a loud thud coming from the struts. I assume it means the stut is compressing all the way and not actually absorbing the shock.

If I were to put the swift springs on, would I get the same result? My thought is that the springs are stiffer so it it wouldn't happen that way.

Are my thoughts correct?

what is a bump stop? i never understood where its located or what it does.

fieldy...question i might have the same symptoms as you have. i have 70k miles on my struts, 40k on stock LGT springs, and 30K on H-techs as well. When im driving on the highways like in QUeens, there a bunch of different levels in the road, like itll be flat then a hump which designates a newer concrete that was put down, and then back down, and then another hump of new cement. what i feel is a big THUD come from the struts, almost like the rim hit the bump so hard that the rubber in the tire was completly compressed at that point, but its impossible pysically. this large thud follows by a seasaw motion of the car, almost like the struts were thrown out of wack for a second, and then the car retrns to normalcy.

In addition when i hit a pot hole i also hear a very large thud again sounding like your compressed the tire and the rim is what actully hit the pot hole, but yet i dont ave any damage to the outside of my rims.

Ive gone to subaru and had the struts inspected, and they said that even after the70k miles they are still really healthy.

Archived