LegacyGT.com

need link to (how to remove factory radio)

25gtrbo

Hey guys i need some help finding a link to how to remove the factory stereo. Im trying to take it out so i can hook up my (loc) Line Output Converter. Also for anyone who has installed a subwoofer, where did you tap the remote wire to turn on the amplifier. Is it something i just tap off of a power wire example lets say the radio or cigarette lighter power wires?

I took my radio out. Here is what you need to do. While sitting in the drivers seat look at the radio. take a Plastic screwdriver or something simular (so that you do not scratch your plastic like I did).

you will notice 2 pieces of plastic on the edging going from the shifter plate all the way to the dash. there is ONE screw holding each one in at its base hiding under the shifter plate. Take the screw driver and place it inbetwen the radio houseing and the plastic piece on the VERY TOP. edge it in and begin the pop it out. you CAN NOT pop all of the retainers out as there is that screw....thus my mistake. Now. take the screw driver and do the same thing on the Trim piece around the shifter (I have it on my Auto tranny). that plastic piece should be able to pop right out. Now. Take the screw driver and place it betwen the Plastic shifter plate and the front (closest to you). Very gently try to pop it out. Once you loosen the retainers the plate should be able to come off. there is a small clip like plastic piece that fits into the stock radio. I suggest taking the shifter off by unscrewing it. After you are able to gently take the Shifter plastic cover off you have access to the screws that hold the main plastic Side covers on. After taking the covers off you will now see how they were held on with the Retainer clips. dont loose any.

Now make sure you have a magnetic screw driver. Un screw the screws holding the radio in. there should be 4 in the front (two on each side) and two hidden ones (one on each side) in the back. Now comes the fun part. you are going to want to reposition your self for this one.

the wiring harness is really tight back there.....really tight. you will have to reach back and disconect the heating element first and basicly work your way up. they all plug in like a Radio wiring harness clicks in so you will have to reach in, feel and play around with them. your nuckles and hands might get bruised and pinched in this one. After disconecting all of your conectors, your radio will pop out. Do not be afraid iff there are a bunch of wires that you do not know about.

OH! the "Antena" wire is the thin wire that leads to the Bottom left of the mounting area. there again is a simple little Male/female conector. If you are swapping out stereos for another one like I did, then go to Best buy and pick up a Radio wire for the subaru legacy/outback. they only made one for our cars since going stealth with the wire (thank you subaru). it cost me around $20. should be less for you hopfully.

good luck and MAKE SURE YOU USE A PLASTIC SCREW DRIVER. trust me. you dont want scratches all over your dash. and, the replacment parts cost roughly $80 each at the dealership....

Good luck!

Archived