LegacyGT.com

Spacers

SlightlyEvil

Searched but couldn't find a thread on this. Got a chance go grab some 22mm spacers for 5x100. They're eibach, not no-name. Would be using them with 18x8 Rota Formula mesh +48offset (i think).

What sort of drawbacks would spacers have? Will they cause damage/premature wear on parts like bearings etc since 22mm isn't a big spacer? (or is it?)

22mm is very close to 1".. you will end up pushing your wheel out close to 1".

25.4mm =1"

Yea, your wheel bearings wont like it (pushing the wheel that far out will put way too much load and stress on it). Plus, I don't think your stock wheel studs are even long enough to handle 22mm spacer, you would need to change out to longer wheel studs and use open-end lug nuts.

You would also need to cut or flare your fenders since your tires will stick out past the fenders by at least 0.5". If you are anything other than short-traveling coilovers, you will end up hitting the tire on the fenders when you hit a bump, which will be way before you hit the bump stops on the stock suspension parts.

In other words: Dont run spacers unless you have to. Reasons that qualify for using spacers:

1) to clear the in-board side of things such as swing-arms, lateral arms, etc.

2) to clear big ass monoblock brake calipers

If you can help it, always go as wide of a tire that you can get before you start adding spacers.

Keefe

Good info, just thought I'd ask as I was offered a set that were going wanting. I imagined they would cause issues, so it's good to know ahead they will for sure! :)

Keefe: since I couldn't find anything anywhere else on this on LGT.com, is there a maximum width spacer that would be OK to run on the stock bearings? (assuming suspension, travel, fenders, etc have been upgraded and weren't an issue)

Archived