LegacyGT.com

ST Shifting problem.

REX2LGT

I have a tough time getting into reverse fairly regularly, but the inch-forward then put it in reverse thing works every time. The tougher one is first gear which can be a real PITA when it's cold... Once warmed up, it's a non-issue though. I'm thinking of asking the dealer about it next service, but I'm not sure there's a lot they can (or should) do about it... Last thing I want to do is have them mess up something else...

I think the first gear problem is due to heavy wt. fluid being cold. I have the same problem, and like u said, once warmed up everything is good. Is the Redline fluid synthetic? (i think it is, just checking to be sure) i have been warned about using synthetic oil in the tranny b/c the snychros work on friction and synthetic oil reduces friction. can anyone back me up on this? maybe this is why i have only seen Red Line used in race applications that don't have synchros.

Kenda

My Short Throw was factory installed and has no issues at all. I also agree with subitonic about having to put the car in first to get to reverse... done it with every mt i have owned.

Q: has anybody ever replaced an sti st lever with a kartboy with the bushings? I feel that although the sti st is better than the stock (long throw) unit, it is still mushey and a bit vague. I'm looking for about the same feel as the '05 WRX STI 6 speed

Redline is synthetic. Most manual transmissions in cars have synchros; very little double clutching going on since the late 1960's (a few English cars carried non-sychro first gears into the 1970's.)

However, if Subaru warns AGAINST synthetic (and I don't know whether they do or not) I would heed the warning, at least until the car is out of warranty.

• 3 weeks later...

You need to take it back.Short shifters don't need to broken in at all.I just wasn't installed right,and don't put up with their weak excuses.You're paying good money

for it and it should work properly.:mad: If they won't do it go to another dealer.

Archived