LegacyGT.com

Honestly 245-35-18?

bochinam

First, thank you Keefe for an absolutely fantastic wheel / tire FAQ. It's one of the most informative write-ups ever.

Car: Stock 2005 GT Wagon (Coilovers in the near future, perhaps JIC's.)

Primary use: Ski Mobile & Grocery Getter

Secondary use: On track days when the Oregon weather threatens I'll shelve the Miata and pull out the wagon.

Goal: Looking for info on an 18" wheel tire combo for street and track (no auto x)

The FAQ indicates that 245's on an 18x8.5 wheel with 45~48 offset will fit (without fender rolling) but I'm wondering if 235-35-18's would be more realistic from a rubbing / "don't stick out" point of view? I have 235-45-17 Hakka 4 studded snows* on my stock rims and haven't had any rubbing issues. As far as dedicated summer tires go, the treads tend to run wider. I realize that offset and wheel width play a key roll here, so from alignments to rim width I'm asking those of you who have dual use track / street GTs to chime in with a proven or desired setup. (I'm not buying R compounds for this car...yet. ;) ) I'm drawn towards single piece forged wheels (who isn't :rolleyes:) but I'm under the gun time wise. I need to have something on the car soon. I'd like to go with a 245-35-18 tire if the right wheel exists for it. Some wheels I've been able to locate:

Prodrive GS-05F 18x8 46mm

SSR Comps 18x8 48mm Would love to run 18x8.5

Volk GTV I'm not much of a fashion expert but these two piece Volks aren't ugly. 18x8 46mm

Thanks for your help guys,

J

*A 235 winter tire wasn't exactly my first choice, but since it was the only size Les SchweebeSchwabs had in stock I reluctantly put them on. I have no regrets. For anyone looking for snows, this tire in this size has been wonderful. Typically you go narrower in winter, but there are some advantages to the 235. First the added tread width is actually very small. If it had any negative effect on the cars ability to deal with ice, snow & slop I couldn't tell. Also, the slight increase in wheel diameter makes the GT a little higher. Not exactly an Outback, but less of a snow plow. Aesthetically they fill the wheel well and overall thickness looks pretty aggressive. I may be crazy but I swear (even with studs) they hold corners in the dry / wet better than the less than inspiring OEM tire. :spin:

I don't think it will fit without rolls.

I had 18x8 +48 torques with 245/35 18 dunlop super sport race and absolutely had to roll the back (on a wagon) with a mild drop (swift springs).

I also had 17x8.5 with 245/40 17 which is actually what I'd suggest for what you're doing with the car. 17's will be better for both track and daily driving and 245/40 17 has more options than 245/35 18.

245's on my 18x8 GC-05F's, stock rear shocks, and ion springs rubbed in the rear. I switched to Tokico adjustables and the same Ion springs, rear gap increased slightly, rub improved, but was still there over speed bumps and hard cornering.

Because that wheel/tire combo was my daily driver as well as track wheel set at the time, I went with a 225 tire. Tires have never rubbed since, including fully loaded with adults in the rear seat and luggage in the trunk.

My new set of track wheels with R-comps is also 225 (45/17). With coilovers, you should beable to adjust your rear ride height accordingly and do some minor rolling of the rear fender if you really want to make 245's work.

ignore him, he'll go away.

i've ran 255/35/18 Toyo T1-S with SSRs 18x8 +51mm offset on rolled fenders with Zeal coilovers and I only get rubbing if I run less than -2.0 camber up front.

Otherwise, my 18x8.5 +49mm SSRs with 245/35/18 R-compounds on the same Zeals are just fine and I can run 0 degrees camber up front and no rubbing.

The next key when it comes to rubbing is knowing your primary suspension parts (i.e. your shock travel). I picked my suspension with higher spring rates and shorter shock travel just for this reason. This also helps me with less actual rocking of the car under transitions and less chance of wheel lift under hard cornering. It also helps me with keeping the car balanced and less leverage when it comes to braking and accelerating so I dont beat up the tires as much individually.

Keefe

Good info Keefe. I'll probably end up getting a set of Comps with R rubber after the coilovers are dialed in and I've got a feel for the car on street tires.

!YCAGEL TG!, I pick up the wheels this Saturday. Until then this is all I've got:

1121184547_AdvanTC2.jpg.bd2dcb58d4fe4e4c51a3908cbb8eb54a.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Archived