LegacyGT.com

new supercharger for my 5.7

I own a 06 spec B as well as a 2008 Sequoia

It is hard to imagine a 6000 pound truck smashing my suby.

Coming Soon for the Tundra---TRD Supercharged 5.7 Sequoia - Pics inside!!

The kit is complete and is just awaiting the final paperwork to go through. This has already passed the smog testing and waiting for the paperwork to go through

From what I remember, the kit includes the typical set of support items found in other modern TRD supercharger kits:

-Upgraded High-Pressure Injector Set

-Upgraded Fuel Pump

-LTR (Low Temp Radiator-- aka INTERCOOLER-- instead of having piping to send the compressed air to the intercooler and then into the engine, this ingenious one has 2 sections: 1 "Intercooler" looking piece that has coolant in it and a second piece in between the intake box and blower. It cools incoming air by approx 20 degrees in the 1GR-FE Tacoma/FJ version. The supercharger type is infamous for running hot though... so that's the reason an intercoolerish device was included)

-Coolant pump for the LTR

-Spark Plug Set (Cooler temp, of course)

-Reflash is now done through the TechStream tool. No strange tool is required for the reflash (as previously seen on the tC charger). This translates into more dealers willing to do the install since no special tools are required

-----------------

So TRD comes by for a meeting today. We discuss a few future products, and some other ideas we've tossed around in regards to educating the general public about vehicles (forced induction/suspension/etc).

So after about 45 minutes, they mention that their 5.7L 3UR-FE V8 Sequoia is sitting outside... and uttered my favorite words: SUPERCHARGED

After we finished talking about our planned items, we head to the truck. By the looks of it, you would have never guessed it was supercharged. It's a simple 4Q2 Desert Sand Mica (aka "Gold" or "Champagne") Limited grade sporting a typical 5.7L i-Force logo.

Once the hood is popped, my Blackberry rang...

"Where are you?"

"Outside with TRD"

"WHERE?!"

"You know about the supercharger huh?"

"WHERE?!"

"Look at your 2 o'clock"

"I'll be there in a sec" -- and he runs to me

This was our resident Sequoia freak. He was excited about TRD coming... as he was excited about hearing they had the 5.7L supercharger on the lot... and he almost creamed himself when he saw it was mounted inside a Sequoia.

The supercharger was installed along with the TRD Cold Air Intake. The supercharger was dyno'd (officially with witnesses through the new SAE J1394-or whatever it is-standard) at 504 hp (didn't mentioned if it's RWHP, I think it's BHP).

We are admiring the awesomeness of the charger... and then we hear the words: "Do you want to take it out?"---- "OK" and it begins. I let Joseph drive it since he's the resident Sequoia freak/truck guy. I'm a car guy, so it's not too up my ally (except for the ridiculous power).

For anyone that has been to Longo to test drive a vehicle, you know our usual test drive route (exit turning right, right on Peck Road, right on Ramona, right onto the 605S, bear right to the 10W, right off on Peck and a final right turn into the dealership). There is a portion of the route that is under construction, so no vehicles are present. Of course, we took it to that area for our first test.

When driving the N/A 5.7L Tundra at WOT, you get the usual push into the seat. It's quite impressive and smooth. With this charger, you get that feeling for the first 1000 rpm... after that, you feel the increasing pressure against the skin on your face. It's almost as if someone is pulling your skin back (very lightly). On our test, we got the truck up a a nice __x__ mph. We didn't realize it since we were giddy as kids in a candy store; the Sequoia had quite a smooth ride.

When we finally got on the freeway, we let it loose. If anyone has driven a 400 rwhp supra, you would know the feeling: It is scary fast. Since the interchange came up so quickly, we didn't get to go too overboard with it =[

We decided to jump on the streets instead. This is where we appreciated the whine. At idle, the engine is as quiet as can be. Once you hit about 1200 RPM, you start to hear a slight whine. At 4000 rpm, it is screaming and it shifts gears before you know it (damn short gears!).

Too bad Toyota didn't give this kind of love to the 2005-era 4.7 liter trucks. All they got was spindly rods that break if you just say the word "boost" in their presence. My brother's v8 Sport AWD 4Runner would be killer with a few hundred extra horsepower -- and he did own a 500+ whp Supra.

It sounds like a more complete kit than the old 3.4 liter v6 supercharger kits too. They had a bad lean condition at WOT that TRD never did figure out. My brother had one of those too.

My other vehicle is a Hemi Ram, and I wish Dodge didn't do everything they could to prevent the Ram from making power. They locked down the ECU so badly that even with the easy bolt-on FI options already on the market (blowers and turbos), nobody can really tune it properly. Having a V8 + boost is always fun.

that's awesome! :) they came out with the TRD s/c for my 01 Tundra about 3 months before I sold it.

Had I not been selling the truck, woulda had a s/c in that bad boy for sure! :D

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

Archived