LegacyGT.com

Our loud sunroofs....??

ah, i see youve been enjoying our warm weather lately.

actually, i find that our sunroofs (compared with my dad's c230 and older infinity QX4) its actually quieter both fully open and tilted up.

well, i have the sedan, so i'm not sure how the outback works, but dont you guys have a little part of the roof that tilts up and acts as a windscreen too?

Yeah, the front part tips up at a fairly steep angle. I think thats what contributes to the level of noise.... The power sunroof that I had Tim's Trim put on my Mustang is fairly quiet up to 80mph. Why does your Sig say both Rochester and Brooklyn?

I love my sunroof! Cant wait for the weather to clear up out west so I can use it again. Yeah it might be a little loud when open(especially with a roof rack);), but I kinda like things loud:lol:
Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac? -George Carlin

I find the Outback's sunroof is quieter when you press the button once to open the deflector then one more time to open the glass part way and then close it one click to bring the glass forward half way.

+1

Mine is much noisier fully open... no noise at all when half open or at tilt (or vent as I call it)

Yeah, the front part tips up at a fairly steep angle. I think thats what contributes to the level of noise.... The power sunroof that I had Tim's Trim put on my Mustang is fairly quiet up to 80mph. Why does your Sig say both Rochester and Brooklyn?

i live in rochester (and go to RIT) with my brother (high school) while my parents live in brooklyn. they spend most of their time on the weekends up in ROC and drive back down for the weekdays. i'm also down in brooklyn whenever i can cause thats the area that i grew up in.

Which deflector did you get? Pic?

Cheers,

Mike

I bet he was talking about sedans. Wagons get tilted front part on dual sunroofs and there was not deflector available for wagon.

Mine is OK; gets louder at ~75mph.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 249K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 272K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

I bet he was talking about sedans. Wagons get tilted front part on dual sunroofs and there was not deflector available for wagon.

Mine is OK; gets louder at ~75mph.

Thanks, didn't know that.

I like mine just barely open or all the way open. I rarely open mine since I typically have either my Thule Pod or 4 bike racks up there.

Cheers,

Mike

Crossbars.

If you are running either the factory or aftermarket crossbars you will get a lot more noise than without.

I use the Saris crossbars which mount/unmount in seconds (from one side of the car). Highly recommened.

If mine is one click open at Hwy speeds, it is not bad as long as the vent is open in the car. If it is two clicks, it is loud. 3 clicks, it is loud. But magically, if I then go one click back forward, it is perfect for the Hwy ;)
:spin:

I agree that it's pretty loud when open at almost any position. It's really loud above 50-60 km/h (35mph).

I had a panoramic sunroof on my previous car, BMW X3, it was a lot quieter when open.

I have removed my factory cross bars already, not sure if that made any difference (I never opened the sunroof before removing them). It's just loud.

Still rather have it than not though!

this car is more quite then the jetta i had. i will admit on the interstate, it does get on my nerves after a while. what do people have for deflectors to take down the noise level? also, on the jetta, with a deflector and my thule rack, i got alot of interesting howling until i put a fairing for it.

Can't really compare wagons and sedans IMHO...different animals.

I sometimes crack windows (or vent probably works) to decrease noise a little.

On the flip side, it may be a bit noisy, but for the wagons it's one heck of a beautiful, large sunroof!

vent doesnt help mine...rear window does a little, but dont know if it is because i am swapping one noise for the other. i had a sunroof deflector on the jetta, but i dont think it helped any. might have just been the manufacturer. dont know.

Archived