LegacyGT.com

TPMs on two sets of wheels

spiderpig

I was at my dealer today getting my tpms reset for my summer wheels/tires and was told that they cannot "add" these codes to the existing codes for my winter tires/wheels. They said they have to overwrite the existing codes - so twice a year I will have to come back for recoding.

I thought someone else here stated these codes can be added and not replaced. Anyone else able to add a second set of codes, and if so can you give me the dealer name that did it - then I can pass it along to my dealer (Subaru of Cherry Hill - located one mile from the SOA HQ) to see how they were able to do it.

thanks

Not sure, same deal for me. However, I think they just reset vs. recoded my rims because I've got a solid light on. Will have to have it done right when I go in for my oil change next month.

Glad I saw this thread. I've been considering a second set of wheels for summer driving since I got Blizzaks installed on my OEM wheels for the winter. However I think I'll just pay Discount Tire $40-50 a year to swap out the tires for me. Seeing as how I was going to pay at least $200/wheel it would take about 16 years before getting a second set of wheels would prove cost effective. Pretty much the same cost as getting the TPMS reset every year anyhow if I were swapping wheels.

TPMS is one of those "helpful" safety features now mandated for new cars by our Uncle Sam and his minions, so we're stuck with it. But for those of us who pay attention to our cars' circumstances, including tire pressure, and especially for those of us who want more than one set of wheels for the different seasons, it's a PITA.

Aside from just getting used to ignoring the stupid TPMS dash light, is there another way to turn the system off? I suppose figuring out how to unplug that particular light would work. But is there a downside to just not using it? Does the ECU eventually get upset somehow? Thanks, HPH

Archived