LegacyGT.com

exhuast question

i have a 99 legacy gt and they really dont make anything for it as u know so i went to the exhaust shop today to see how much it would cost to run a str8 pipe he said $220 hes gonna gonna do it from the headers down dont want any cats on it and WHY the hell are there 3 cats on it? anyways the question is, is $220 good ? or too much? hes hookin it up to a magaflow racin muffer

I totally agree with Super clean. By all means do not go to 3 inch exhaust. Try to keep it at 2 1/2 inches. Expect it to lose low end grunt/torque but you will gain mostly mid and some high range torque .Worth the trade off if you like reving your car.

2.25 to 2.5" diam. at most... I suggest 2.25 for n/a ...and remember cheap is not always better... is it mandrel bends? or crimped? stainless or aluminumized? what kinda muffler? Anything under $300 us pretty cheap...

I'm going to try to skip over "exhuast" and "racin muffler" and I'm really not trying to preach here, but maybe you'd be willing to rethink this.

I know you want more power and a nicer sound, but leave the cats alone, and just replace the muffler. It would be cheaper for you, give a better sound and not trip a check engine light like cutting out the cats will. You didn't say if you are going to be removing the oxygen sensors or not, but you stand a good chance of getting worse gas mileage and running your car either too lean or too rich. Both are bad for your engine.

One look under your hood or under your car by a police-person and you'll get a sizeable fine. I assume you do not have a visual inspection or an emissions inspection in your state, because if you did, you'd fail both and probably be fined, and required to install new cats ($$$). Also, think about down the road when you want to sell your car. Few people are going to be willing to buy it if they know the cats have been removed.

In the end, the benefit of removing the cats is going to be about zilch and it will cause you more problems than its worth. You'll like the sound of just switching out the muffler, so consider doing that and keeping the cats.

PS. Maybe get a lightweight crank pulley instead.

PSS. Yes I know about 02 sims.

PSSS. Yes, I gutted my cat when I was very young. I hated the sound and within weeks had a new high-flow cat welded in. (doesn't mean this applies to you, but I've been there)

Oh wow, that was you in the other thread. Really sorry to hear about that. Any chance she was an environmentalist who read about you wanting to remove the cats? That would be a Kharma punch in the gut.

Good luck, and I hope you get a good replacement value for your Legacy.

Archived