LegacyGT.com

Audio N00b!

thespookmaN

The previous owner of my lgt didn't do too good of a job installing after market audio I guess since I have no sound on the driver side of my car. I'm looking to replace front and rear with new speakers (i guess a nice component setup). I'm pretty much a total n00b to whats good and whats not. I'm basically in a price range of $150-200 for both front and rear (so $300-400 total). Id be willing to stretch a little if its definitely worth it. Yes, I have the factory sub and yes it works. So I'd like to hear some suggestions on good sizes, brands, and whatever kind of advice you have to give. Thanks!

Well sound is a very personal decision but for components I have have very good Luck with Memphis car audio Products. I have Memphis M-class components from my 300m that are waiting to go into my LGT. As for subs im partial to Kicker, especially Solobarics. I have a 15" L7. (solobarics are the square subs by kicker). They have a greater surface area and if your not a bass junkie a nicely powered 10 or 12" L7 should give you all the bass you need and not take up tons of space if installed in a sealed enclosure...

Side note: good speakers sound crappy if you dont use quality amps. if you buy nice stereo equiptment dont cheap out on amps or you just waste your money

Wiring: this car is about the furthest from easy to set up with aftermarket sound equiptment so if your not familar with stereo installation or dont have somebody to help you out (either online or in person) It might be good to get some help...

Well I'm not exactly looking to do any full out sound system installs. I would be content with just replacing the stock speaker setup only because the previous owner messed around with it and the driver front speaker was blown so I pulled it out, and I'm not sure if the rear passenger works either. I was wondering who had good experience with what brands and sizes. I'll check out Memphis. Thanks

I've heard some people using MB Quarts and I personally have Focal Polyglass 165's and I love em. One thing you might do is look in the classifieds area on this forum and see what people are selling in terms of speakers. Sometimes you'll find speakers for a great deal because they're selling the car or something.

Its always a matter of personal choice and budget though. Some people think speaker x sounds too tinny, while person 2 thinks the same speaker sounds perfect.

Good luck and welcome aboard

If I pass you on the right, I'm flipping you off.

Why do you say that?

A lot of cars without an integrated head unit, and American cars where the body panels come off/apart are much easier to work on. For example my 98 Dodge Dakota was much easier to work on and get to stuff than I have found my LGT to be from exploration. I have done audio work on a number of cars. If he doesnt have experience with pulling interior panels, or if he is looking to do a lot of wiring, there are easier cars out there then an LGT

I can vouch for the Focal 165V1's. I have those in my car and I'm a sound quality buff. I would not spend any money on rear speakers and just use that money for components and an amp.

Well as I previously stated the driver side is dead. So I kinda have to replace both front and rears since I don't want to half ass things and just replace one driver one passenger ya know. Thanks for the recommendation on the front. They look nice. Wondering what people are running in the rear as well.

I'm running Polk's DB651s coaxials front and rear. With an Infinity Basslink II Sub/Amp in back. I know Crutchfield had all Polk's on sale. I think they now have Infinity's on sale.
If I'm going faster than you, Move Right.

I pulled my door panels off to check the condition of the front speakers. I removed the driver side one long ago because it is believed to be blown. However, I am now reminded of the extremely shoddy wiring job hiding behind my door panels. As I am very anal when it comes to wiring, I am wondering if it possible to replace the speaker harnesses for both doors and start fresh. The speakers that are back there now are JL Evolution xr650 CWs. They are 6.5" and just kind shoved in there and screwed into random locations. I guess I'm going to have to buy the 6.5" adpater plates to do this right. You have no idea how much I hate half-assed wiring jobs.

EDIT: Also, they broke the stock mounting locations in what looks like an attempt to fit these speakers in the stock locations. Real professional...I'm glad people have respect for the work they do. Arrgh..

Archived