LegacyGT.com

Car first will not crank but then will start

Just over the last couple of days I have had some trouble starting my car. When I go to turn the key to start it nothing happens. It makes one click type of noise and that is it. If I repeat turning the key a couple of time it will crank fine and start. I have no idea if this would have anything to do with it but the other day driving home my car either shut off or I shifted into fifth instead of third. Either way, it started right back up without any problems.

Could this be the battery? I ran it for about ten minutes this morning and then shut it of and tried starting it. Nothing happens. Second time I twisted the key it started right up. Could my ECU be toast? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I would say that the ignition lock is bad. Alternatives are a lose cable or oxides. Begin with checking the main cable from the battery to the starter to verify that it is in good condition and securely fastened. Pull and re-insert fuses and relays related to the starter. If these actions doesn't help I suspect the ignition lock.

Also check the neutral switch for your gearbox as well as the clutch pedal switch. They may also be the offenders.

The ECU doesn't block the starter.

453747.png

^^

Ignition lock? As in the thing that does not let you turn the key once you have locked the steering wheel? I doubt that it would be a safety switch with the pedal or transmission because if it was that then it would make any noise at all when the key was turned. Ill go check all the cables and see what I can find.

I can almost gurantee you that it is the starter motor.

I have had this exact same issue on an older Liberty that I had and thats what it was.

Find the starter motor, knock it firmly with the handle of a hammer etc. The reason behind this is that the brushes on the starter motor build up with carbon and thus then start to get crappy contact which in turn makes it intermittent with starting.

Let us know how you go.:lol:

Archived