LegacyGT.com

Wanting to add a sub + amp to the factory system in my 99LGT - Dumb idea?

Keyser Soze

I searched and searched and it looks like the newer Legacy's have way more complicated stereos than my 99 does. I actually like the HU that's in there (the AM/FM/WB/CD/Cassette version) b/c I can just plug my ipod in via a cassette adapter. No need for MP3 CD's then.

The sound is good enough for me but I'm thinking that a sub could let me roll off some of the lows from the factory speakers and get that one more notch of volume for highway riding with the windows down.

On to the question. I doubt that the Factory HU has line level outs. I doubt it so much that I haven't pulled it out to see. I was considering tapping into the rear speaker wires and having my first high level input amp setup. I'm not thrilled about that idea since I'm sure it will draw some of the power from the rears and probably just not sound very good.

What about a speaker level crossover at 80 Hz, one out to the rears and one to the amp? Is that way more work than it's worth? I was thinking that might sound a little better since it wouldn't rob as much juice from the rears and would save from needing bass blockers too.

I just really don't want to swap HU's again. I REALLY don't. Maybe I'm wrong about the line level out's and all will be well.... If not, what would you do?

Thanks a bunch in advance all.

There's no such thing as a dumb idea, just a lot of inquisitive idiots. :lol: Really you should go the route of a RS 3sixty and a small amp with sub. Or 2 amps, one four channel and refeed you're stock speakers and one for your sub. Many many options.

Darn, you figured me out already. :p

Ok so pardon my ignorance but what's a RS 3sixty? I've seen it mentioned here but google turns up nothing. Sounds expensive to me.

I don't think I really need to mess with a 4 channel amp at this point. I'm thinking about just tapping into the rear speaker wires, running speaker level in to a amp and using that to push a single 12". Then add some 100 hz bass blockers to the rear speakers (downstream from the amp taps of course) to get a little more overall volume out of the system. As it is, the rears distort from bass long before anything else distorts at all.

Well go with this....http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_9855_MTX+Audio+re-Q+-REQ-.html#

It's cheaper. Yea, the bass blockers seem reasonable. Read about the MTX product. It needed when adding to a stock system. It's what i'm using if I ever get around to installing everything.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_9855_MTX+Audio+re-Q+-REQ-.html#

Word. That looks like the ticket. I hadn't thought about it but my HU does tend to increase mids and highs but not lows once you get to a certain volume level.

That will be on order ASAICAI. As soon as I can afford it.

Thanks a lot Spec. Just so's I know, whats a 3sixty?

If you want a nice all in one plug and play sub check out the Infinity Basslink.

You can usually find them for ~$200.

Personally, in a '99, I'd probably just swap the HU since it's pretty easy and you could get a decent aftermarket deck for a little over $100.

The cheapest way to do it would be to put a Line Out Converter on and just go that route... If your looking to be cheaper about it. Then have the amp do all the Low Pass Filtering and then for the speakers just use cheap bass blockers on them. Should work out perfectly for what you want. Unless your wanting to go premium audio and then you would be good with the RF 360
If I pass you on the right, I'm flipping you off.

I've got subs, amps, and HU's laying around everywhere. If I were to swap HU's I'd want something with a larger display than a single DIN though. I was assuming the Suby was a double DIN but Crutchfield says they won't fit.... Is it a DIN and a half or is there some other reason the double din's won't fit?

The new HU's aren't impressive since all I want is Mp3 playback, a included 1/8" input and HD radio included. There are only a couple that crutchfield lists like that, I'll have to dig harder if I decide to go that route. I wouldn't mind something with a pretty full color display http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?o=p&showAll=N&g=300&i=105KDAVX11&c=3&tp=5684&avf=N <- like my brothers but it won't do HD radio. I can get it for 300 used (aux input module included) so I might just abandon HD radio. I've never listened to the radio until lately and so I thought it might keep me from scrolling around on the ipod so much.

And I guess the plus side to going with a single din unit would be an extra little cubby hole for stuff in the dash....

Dang it you guys, now I'm thinking of swapping HU's and doing a real sub install. You weren't supposed to do that. So in a 99 LGT, swapping a HU won't kill my PW and PL's and alarm? None of that runs through the HU like in an Accord? That was one of my other reasons for not swapping the HU.

The cheapest way to do it would be to put a Line Out Converter on and just go that route... If your looking to be cheaper about it. Then have the amp do all the Low Pass Filtering and then for the speakers just use cheap bass blockers on them. Should work out perfectly for what you want. Unless your wanting to go premium audio and then you would be good with the RF 360

Oops, I was typing when you posted. Thanks for the response, I'm still considering going the cheap route but my main concern was that a lot of things run "through" the OEM HU. Also, I got great news about my tax return so I might be able to swing a new HU out of it.

AFAIK nothing at all runs through the HU on the '99s. It's a simple direct swap.

As far as fitting a double din, it may be possible regardless of what Crutchfield says.

Nice. I know that Crutchfield is def not the final answer to fitment questions. I fought for over an hour with some front speakers in my truck that "fit". I didn't think razors and files fell into the category of fitting.

Anyway, I might just end up getting my brothers JVC deck since it's affordable and can do mp3 dvd's. I'm not sure if the navigation will be feasible on a disc with that much music on it but I've always got the ipod.

Yeah, pretty much set on a real install now. Gee thanks guys. Seriously, thanks for the help and suggestions. :)

Archived