LegacyGT.com

Need a good product for removing scratches

LEGGTLTD

Hi,

Anyone know of any good products to use for removing clear coat scratches?

I have a lot of little scratches on my car maybe from something getting stuck in the microfiber polishing cloths. The scratches realy stand out since my car is black..:(

Megan header,Perrin TMIC, TD06-20G,AEM CAI, Lachute DP, Avo BOV, BC Coilovers, Magnaflow catback, Hawk HPS pads, Stoptech lines, Snow WI

When got my black WRX in '02 it looked like someone had set a running buffer on the roof and then walked away on a break.

What I used to clean up the scratches and scuff/burn marks was a good Porter Cable RO buffer, with some 3M Swirl Mark Remover (part# 051131), followed by an application of Meguiar's Mirror Glaze. I finished with some Meguiar's carnuba wax.

In all it took about three hours, and I don't think I could've done it at all without the buffer, but when I was done the car sparkled! Of course all this hard work to keep the finish looking decent is the main reason why I bought my GT Wagon in white. :)

professionals use 3m imperial microfinishing compound- liquid (part no. 051131-06011). it's a polish with very little grit. i don't know how much clearcoat is on a legacy so be careful. i know the 04 wrx i had was is very, very thin and almost went through the clearcoat with mild (little pressure) rubbing.

if you go through the clearcoat with this, then anything else you could have tried would have ripped it to shreads.

http://products3.3m.com/catalog/us/en001/auto_marine_aero/marine/node_GSKPSFQ7WKgs/root_GST1T4S9TCgv/vroot_GS4JK4Y166ge/bgel_GSB3RQ37YCbl/gvel_9NQK7NZ8TZgl/theme_us_marine_3_0/command_AbcPageHandler/output_html

I had a guy at work detail the car. Luckily he was able to get out the scratches.

He also swears by Meguiar's #26 carnauba wax. i just bought sonme Nanowaw by Eagle One.

Does anyone know if the Carnauba wax would be a better wax than the Nanowax?

Megan header,Perrin TMIC, TD06-20G,AEM CAI, Lachute DP, Avo BOV, BC Coilovers, Magnaflow catback, Hawk HPS pads, Stoptech lines, Snow WI

What did he do to get out the scratches? It is much easier to find a product that will fill the scratches in for a temporary visual improvement then to actually remove the scratches from the clear coat.

As far as wax goes, what do you mean by "better." Some waxes provide more protection from the elements, some provide a deeper shine, some are better at hiding defects, etc. What are you looking for? Generally speaking, carnauba based waxes are supposed to give you better depth and shine, while synthetics (like nanowax and NXT) give you better protection.

He used a very mild polish to remove the scratches, then waxed it with Meguiar's 26.

to answer your question, I'm looking for a good wax that helps to conceal minor imperfections and has a good glossy shine.

Archived