LegacyGT.com

New FM Modulator for JVC MP3 Changer sounds awful

eric631

I recently installed a JVC 1500RF MP3 changer in a 2005 Outback. I spliced the FM modulator into the existing coaxial connector. Everything installed smoothly with the changer, however it sounds awful. First the volume is very low even with the modulation level set to the highest level. Second the signal is terrible, even the stereo indicator on the radio flashes because the signal is so low. I'm wondering if I just have a bad modulator or it is incompatible with the Subaru antenna. I know there is an amplifier in the rear hatch, is it possible that the signal is different going into the radio on this car (different resistance or something like that). Just wondering if anyone has successfully hooked up an FM modulator and it sounds great. I've had FM modulators before and had good results. I've added amps and speakers to the stock radio and was hoping for a decent sounding system.

Thanks,

Eric

Man, that doesn't sound like good news. I just bought a JVC KS-IF200 to run my XM and mp3 player into the stock system. I had already decided to wait for a proper antenna adapter though. I have very limited experience with modulators, but I would try to get a replacement. Please let us know how this turns out.

Thanks for the replies, the funny thing is last night it sounded a lot better when I played it on the way home, but I didn't do anything to fix it. I think I have either a bad player or modulator, cause I can still hear some noise for a split second every now and then. The coaxial wires were soldered together and then I used aluminum foil to connect the outer part of the wire. The stock radio still sounds great so I know I have good connections. I can hear it switch to the modulator when I turn on the JVC player so I know it is blocking the radio signals. I think I might try getting another changer just to see if it sounds better. I can still here some high frequency noise that just should not be there, but it is definately listenable now. I was blaming it on the modulator, but now I'm thinking its just a bad changer. Will let you know what I find.

Oh yeah, the volume is still lower than what I would like, but I guess I can turn up the gains on my amps a bit.

C_Hunter question for you. Is your volume out of the modulator a lot lower than the stock radio?

I wouldn't say a LOT lower, but it is noticeably lower. I have to crank the volume up higher when using the FM modulator compared to CD. I don't normally use FM for music (just NPR) so I can't really say how the modulator compares to straight FM/AM.

The JVC modulator I am using had two positions for line-in gain, and I am using the high setting with my iPod.

Craig

Doesn't the iPod also have a volume control? Turn it up some and that should fix it.

The line-out in the dock is straight line level and not affected by the volume control. You can use the headphone jack if you need to adjust the volume level, but it's actually weaker than line level and adds distortion. I would only use the headphone jack if lower levels were needed.

Craig

Archived