LegacyGT.com

Auto sucks, Time for a change.

enkore

Ok so, I've been driving an auto for the first time ever, since I bought my Legacy a month ago. I NEED to make my baby manual....

Now for my question, I have a 98 Legacy GT (limited), with the dreaded EJ25D w/ a 4EAT. Can I swap any EJ25 manual trans into my car, such as from another Legacy, Forester or Impreza? Or is there a certain one that is better then the other?

THanks

Yes it can be done, and depending on what trans you find the parts may vary.

I'm not sure what your final drive is, but try to find one that matches so you don't have to replace the rear diff.

You'll need:

• Trans (Duh)
  • Shifter assembly
  • Flywheel
  • Clutch
  • Release and pilot bearings
  • clutch master cylinder
  • clutch slave cylinder
  • Pedal Box (with clutch and brake pedals)
  • MT driveshaft
  • possibly front axles (someone want to chime in on this one?)
  • and if you find a trans but it has a different FD then you'll need to change out the rear diff ring and pinion or just the whole rear diff.

Finally you'll need to wire up the neutral, and reverse sensors (easy), and if your ecu has an MT/AT trigger wire you'll have to switch that over. If it doesn't you'll have to change out the ECU itself.

I just checked my PDF's, unfortunately I don't have your car on file so you'll have to get a hold of one to be sure.

If you can find one, get the Legacy GT trans (05+), great ratios, strong, and are 4.11 FD so it's nice and peppy for your 2.5 :)

Or possibly an Impreza RS (98-0X?) trans as they have shorter ratios but should also be 4.11 (check after 01, I forget if it changed).

I was about to pull out a can of whoop ass. but then I see you are talking about the 4EAT, in which case, you are correct. It does suck.

have fun doing the tranny swap. that's a lot of work and a lot of money unless you have the skills to do it yourself. If not, consider trading the car.

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome thanks for the info gents. I actually work at a transmission shop but everyone there told me just to buy a manual car and swap the limited stuff into it. Which I don't want to do with trannies at my fingertips. As for the actual removal and install of the trans that can be done in a couple hours now for the wiring.

Another question, I was looking through my book here (98 Factory Service manual) is there a different wiring harness for the autos and the manuals or will the plugs I need be there for the reverse and neutral?

Thanks again

Archived