LegacyGT.com

Navigation in B9

Looks like the new B9 SUV has navigation, atleast according to the pictures on their website. I guess that means we might be seeing it soon in the Legacy. Wonder if it will be an easy swap to get it to work in the Legacy. Looks to be about the right size to fit in the legacy, will probably need a new dash piece (JDM one probably, unless they start selling it in america) to make it sit perfect. Just thought I would point that out for the people who really want navigation. As for me, my PPC and GPS work just fine :)

Yay, I'm glad I have the '05 and missed out, oh well Navi is more of just a neat feature more often then actually useful.

Song of Post- Steel Pulse- Ravers

'05 Black Legacy GT Wagon 5-spd

'02 Topaz/Black 330Ci 5-spd

Drift Ryder's School of Rally Arts, coming to an Australia near you.

MY 06 Legacy will get a nav. with a different head unit, the nav on the 06 will work with the 05 but will cost a lot of money, need to replace the center panel with air vents for the screen and a new head unit, wiring harness etc. So I guess better wait for the 06 models, may come out in March.

I'll be waiting for the Tribeca, might trade in our Tahoe for that.

Looks like the new B9 SUV has navigation, atleast according to the pictures on their website. I guess that means we might be seeing it soon in the Legacy. Wonder if it will be an easy swap to get it to work in the Legacy. Looks to be about the right size to fit in the legacy, will probably need a new dash piece (JDM one probably, unless they start selling it in america) to make it sit perfect. Just thought I would point that out for the people who really want navigation. As for me, my PPC and GPS work just fine :)

Is a NAV system really all that great? I mean come on! If I need to go somewhere I usually print out something on mapquest. I see no reason to pay an additional 1200-2000 for a part time convience. I honestly don't need one and most people don't either, it's just a "image" item that people have to keep up with the Jones's. Not to mention, it's another electrical device that has the potential of malfunctioning. More electrical items = less time on the road and more in the shop. Just ask BMW, Audi, and VW owners. The majority of their problems are electrical (generally after warranty).

Sorry, I'm just stating my opinion and that's all it is.

Navigation systems are great if you have to take a detour. Most will recalculate the next best route for you to follow in those instances and some will even give you voice prompts with instruction on when and where to turn. They also are usefull if you need to find food, lodging, hospitals, gasoline, etc. Let's see your printout do all of that. ;)

Sometimes mapquest gives you wrong direction, with the nav. its real time, it tells you where and when to turn, its like having a navigator by your side.

On my wife's TL you can put in the name or phone number of a certain business and it will give you the address and direction.

I really like my navigation software on my PPC, so I don't see any need to get one installed in my Legacy. But if you do a lot of driving and a lot of driving in areas you don't know to well, it really is nice to have. When ever I visit family up in Michigan (I am from VA) I use GPS all the time to get around.

05USdmGTgUy, What else is new for the 06 model? HID's? Can you scan in any documents that you got that may say whats new?

I don't see the need for a navigation system, that's my point. Geez! How did we exist without them? Come on people! Where just spoiled Americans who have to have everything. Nav systems work for some but most people don't "NEED" it.

You're right Bob.

It is really more of a toy than an essential item. I have the honour to have that Navigation system as a standard item in my german spec Legacy 3.0R. If I had the choice I don't know if I would have ordered it. I didn't use it very often in the last 7 months. It is nice to have it and when going to another town, it is a good thing

Let it be offered as an option for the Nav lusters, but also let it out of the package if someone don't want to pay another 1500- 2000 bucks for it.

I also thought about the potential problems with the added electronics, especially with the Navigation system. Will the touch screen last for over 10 years? What about if the screen goes mad in 7 years. Will I have to pay a fortune to get it repaired? And could it then replaced with a newer version? How much costs the updated Nav software? I heard from other brands that it is not cheap ...

Not that I believe to drive the car for more than 5 years, but it could happen.

Edited for grammer and spelling mistakes - please don't mind if still far from perfect.

It is 100% that the 06MY GT will be available w/ Navigation. Subaru just send my dealership the 06MY line-up.

Mike......

We [DEMAND] politely request Scans of said documentation :D

What else changes in the MY06 lineup? Any pricing info on the Tribeca? If it looks as good in person as it does in the pics, I'll try to convince my mother to get rid of her 99 Durango.

Remember, there's no pleasing everyone. (Refer to the classic FANBOY threads)

When people show off their HIDs or UP/DP or whatever, there's always got to be a discussion on their view of its worthiness/necessity, not just appreciation or comments on what it is.

Why can't people either think:

a) Wow, thats a cool option, I'd like that in my MY05, or I'll wait to get a MY06

or

b) Wow, I have no need for a NAV system, so I'll just shut up and not post that others are stupid for being excited about an OPTION they're interested in being made available.

Do most factory nav options have some rediculous monthly fee associated with them?

What is the typical price to update to the latest data?

How complete is the data compared to aftermarket sources?

How much does the average aftermarket solution cost to update?

Can someone give some ballpark figures they are expecting for this to cost: up front, monthly, yearly, etc?

-Allen

I don't see the need for a navigation system, that's my point. Geez! How did we exist without them? Come on people! Where just spoiled Americans who have to have everything. Nav systems work for some but most people don't "NEED" it.

I guess that goes for cell phones and the internet, too :)

I really like my Garmin 2620. Mainly for two reasons:

1. When you are going on vacation or a business trip, directions are just one less thing to have to worry about. No need to keep an eye out for signs, it really allows you to relax a bit (especially in high traffic areas). In the Garmin, you can set your "home" waypoint say at your hotel you are staying on vacation. Then, you can just go out and wonder around wherever you want, and when you want to home back to the hotel, just select "Go Home". It is really cool.

2. I like knowing at all times when I am going to arrive somewhere (especially on a business trip or other appointment). A Nav is great for that. It always has your arrival time to the final destination and to each waypoint for that matter. This way, you get the big picture and can know whether or not you are going to have to hall it to get there on time, or can let off a bit.

Try it, you'll love it ;)

Rob

Archived