LegacyGT.com

5eat fluids

teamdarkstyle

i have a 2005 GT it has 54,000 mile on it and i think it is time for new fluids.

i would like to know on a scale of 1 to 10 how hard it is to do my self both diffs and the trans. and what type and brand would you use. i have no price limit my suby only gets the best.

oh yeah are there any special tool i will need to do all of this.

i have a 2005 GT it has 54,000 mile on it and i think it is time for new fluids.

i would like to know on a scale of 1 to 10 how hard it is to do my self both diffs and the trans. and what type and brand would you use. i have no price limit my suby only gets the best.

oh yeah are there any special tool i will need to do all of this.

If you want to flush (completely remove ALL of the old fluids and circulate new fluids) then you will need something on the order of 10-14 quarts to do a full job. That is what I remember reading from fellow 5eat members. I have 45k miles on the car and have done two drain and fills. One was done at 30k miles and the second was done last weekend. The drain and fills are different from a flush as they only change out whatever fluid is in the pan at the time you wrench on the car.

On a scale of 1 to 10, I'd say it's a very easy '1'. All you need are the proper tools and fluid and you're good to go.

I seem to remember that the front differential requires a T70 Torx bit in order to remove the drain plug and the 5eat transmission requires a T50. The rear differential for me used a 3/4" drive extension as it has a square socket.

For fluids I went with the following:

1) 4.2 quarts of Subaru OEM 5eat fluid (p/n SOA868V9241)

2) 0.8 - 0.9 quarts of Redline 75w90 for the rear differential

3) 1.4 - 1.6 quarts of Redline 75w90 for the front differential

For our 5eat cars, you can get away with a GL5 75w90 and do not need to worry about friction modifiers or lack of friction modifiers.

Archived