LegacyGT.com

Randomly Keyed Yesterday

I was out to lunch yesterday and when I returned to my car I found this amazing scratch on my driver's side front door. I didn't see who did it obviously, but I hadn't done anything to anybody to even remotely deserve it. I think someone just marking up my car cause it was better than theirs.

Anyway, I need suggestions on getting it fixed as I don't want to have to pay the $700.00 it will most likely cost to get the door repainted.

IMG_0418.JPG.1e43abaeca33df8ed461c198240828a1.JPG

IMG_0419.JPG.d2cb026cacbec6b0e2399145ea9022d0.JPG

IMG_0420.JPG.3304198d3f3bc9c8806c043ae7724454.JPG

I was out to lunch yesterday and when I returned to my car I found this amazing scratch on my driver's side front door. I didn't see who did it obviously, but I hadn't done anything to anybody to even remotely deserve it. I think someone just marking up my car cause it was better than theirs.

Anyway, I need suggestions on getting it fixed as I don't want to have to pay the $700.00 it will most likely cost to get the door repainted.

If you run your fingernail across it, does it 'catch'? If it doesn't, or does it very slightly you might be able to get away with wet sanding (2000 grit) and buffing with a real good machine compound. I've had very good luck doing that on a few of my vehicles. Need to be careful that you don't burn thru the clearcoat, so take your time.

if you're uncomfortable with that, a detail shop might be able to remove it for you.

John

Ya, the fingernail catches it did rub out with just my thumb for a couple inches at each end, but I had someone take a quick look and he said he could get most of it out but it would always be there.

I havent even made the 3rd car payment yet and I want it to be perfect I guess.

Ya, the fingernail catches it did rub out with just my thumb for a couple inches at each end, but I had someone take a quick look and he said he could get most of it out but it would always be there.

I havent even made the 3rd car payment yet and I want it to be perfect I guess.

I'd let the guy get it out as best as possible, and then take a look at it. If you get the door touched up, it may not turn out as well. and it might bother you even more.

John

I got to admit there are a LOT of haters out there.

Since we are on the topic I'll share some pics of my old car. This happed last august. Kids were going around the neigborhood breaking windows. The total was $8k and 3 months in the shop. The bright side of this is that. #1 it's only a car and it can be repaired. #2 As soon as I got the car back I traded it for a subaru LGT which is a better car in the long run. Yeah, I was pissed and wanted to find out who did it and tie them up and drag them around the block behind my truck. When you get your car back you'll be happy and think: "It could have been worse". Peep the link or paste it into your browser.

http://forums.audiworld.com/allroad/msgs/88114.phtml

Dave

Since we're on the topic of vandalized cars, I'll share a story. I had '86 Jaguar XJS that I had 'upgraded' with a '95 Corvette LT1 motor. I did all the work myself, even painting the damn thing in my garage. It was a labor of love, and stupidity.

The damn car was fast. Best time it ran at the strip was 13.3 @ 110 mph. Not too shabby for an overweight car with a slushbox. One of the kids in my neighborhood had a Honda Civic EX with the vanity plate '1FASTEX'. One night while driving back from Home Despot the punk-ass kid decided he wanted to race me by alternately riding my ass, then cutting me off and slamming on his brakes. Fine. Get to a stop light and I demolish him. Fart can mufflers only add so much horsepower, you know.

So, next day I walk out to my car to discover that pretty much the entore drivers side had been keyed. Not just random scratches mind you, but words and pictures. I have never been so utterly pissed off in my entire life. Rather than seek revenge, I got the police involved. Suffice to say, the kid wasn't too bright (he bragged about the act) and he was caught.

John

My LGT was keyed on the left rear 1/4 panel when the car was 5 weeks old. The scratch was deep enough to be through the paint and down to the primer in spots and cost $1230 to be fixed. Check with your insurance, cause I paid nothing for the vandalism, and was told that my rates would not increase. They havent yet.:rolleyes: It sucked not having my car, but it only took 4 days. Good Luck.

Sorry to see that, really makes me mad when things like that happen or petty theft its just such a silly and immature thing to do.

Song of Post- Bob Marley- Mix up, Mix up

'05 Black Legacy GT Wagon 5-spd

'02 Topaz/Black 330Ci 5-spd

Drift Ryder's School of Rally Arts, coming to an Australia near you.

i wouldn't use sandpaper. try 3m imperial microfinishing compound- liquid (part no. 051131-06011) very carefully. it's a polish with very little grit. i don't know how much clearcoat is on a legacy so be careful. i know the 04 wrx i had was is very, very thin and almost went through the clearcoat with mild (little pressure) rubbing.

if you go through the clearcoat with this, then anything else you could have tried would have ripped it to shreads.

http://products3.3m.com/catalog/us/en001/auto_marine_aero/marine/node_GSKPSFQ7WKgs/root_GST1T4S9TCgv/vroot_GS4JK4Y166ge/bgel_GSB3RQ37YCbl/gvel_9NQK7NZ8TZgl/theme_us_marine_3_0/command_AbcPageHandler/output_html

Since we're on the topic of vandalized cars, I'll share a story. I had '86 Jaguar XJS that I had 'upgraded' with a '95 Corvette LT1 motor. I did all the work myself, even painting the damn thing in my garage. It was a labor of love, and stupidity.

The damn car was fast. Best time it ran at the strip was 13.3 @ 110 mph. Not too shabby for an overweight car with a slushbox. One of the kids in my neighborhood had a Honda Civic EX with the vanity plate '1FASTEX'. One night while driving back from Home Despot the punk-ass kid decided he wanted to race me by alternately riding my ass, then cutting me off and slamming on his brakes. Fine. Get to a stop light and I demolish him. Fart can mufflers only add so much horsepower, you know.

So, next day I walk out to my car to discover that pretty much the entore drivers side had been keyed. Not just random scratches mind you, but words and pictures. I have never been so utterly pissed off in my entire life. Rather than seek revenge, I got the police involved. Suffice to say, the kid wasn't too bright (he bragged about the act) and he was caught.

John

So what was his punishment? I hoped he was tossed into jailed and became someone's bitch for long time...but I doubt that happened :(

Not that it's much consolation, but that scratch looks like it could have been accidental as well. It seems low, maybe from a bag/briefcase swung carelessly.

I once had one from a bicycle that scratched along a rear fender. It still sucks, but at least there's no hate involved.

Still--I feel for ya with such a new car.

Archived