LegacyGT.com

treadware question ?

I was looking the the treadware rating on the stock tire of the LGT wagon. The treadware rating is=150 and on my 1988 toyota pickup the treadware=700. Under the exact same driving conditions will the tires that have treadware rating of 700 get (700/150) = 4.6 times more mileage before they need to be replaced. Also, under average driving conditions how many miles do you thing we could squeeze out of our stock tires with at 150 TW rating?? Thanks in advance L guys.

Treadwear ratings are not an exact science, and cannot be compared between tire manufacturers. One manufacturer's 200 is another's 150. Within a tire brand they fairly representative, but you cannot say that a tire with a rating of 400 will last twice as long as a tire with a 200...it doesn't work like that at all.

Based on my treadwear after 13,000 mostly highway miles, I would expect the stock Potenza RE92s 215/45/17 tires to last about 30,000-40,000 miles.

-Nick

treadwear really doesnt mean much unless you are comparing within the same company's standard. I had a set of Yokohama Paradas which were rated 280, and under hard driving conditions (track days and autocross), it didn't last me any more than 400 miles (yes, you read that right, only 400 miles). My other Yokohama Advan A048s (DOT race tires) are rated 50 or less, and it lasted more than 1000 miles under hard driving. I think have gone through over 20 different tires by type, brand, size, and they all had different treadwear all within the past 3 years (hey, I track my car and do a lot of research and other 'interesting' stuff with it). The best that a treadwear number can do is to tell you how soft the compound is. Also double check the speed rating of each tire since different speed ratings usually have different treadwear numbers and slightly different compounds (which all that itself isnt an exact science).

On my stock WRX RE92s with the treadwear of 140, I managed to survive 1 full season of autocrossing, 2 drifting events, and 2 winters of daily commute to work (40 miles round-trip). The tires final numbers came out to around 10,000 miles. So with that said, you can gauge how you drive vs. the miles you'll get out of them.

Keefe

Keefe

Archived