LegacyGT.com

Requesting your opinion on Alpine SPR-17C coax front speakers

SolidFish

We have a 2005 2.5i and the front speakers seems no good. We're not looking for anything crazy, just decent replacements. I'm not planning on an amp either so the speakers would need to work well with the HU or factory amp (does the 2.5i even have a seperate amp?).

Please let me know what you think. Found through this forum:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-KnRn6wV8kHM/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?g=52000&i=500SPS17C2&c=3&tp=95&avf=N&tab=features_and_specs

Thanks!

Why not get a set of components?

is there anything you would recommend?

From what I've read in these forums, it seems the coax option has a better sound quality for the legacies. I know this is highly debateable, and I'm in no position to say which is better, but the majority of threads I've seen say coax.

I think that the reason you see the majority of people doing a co-ax install is because it's easier. But there is NO debating whether or not components have the better potential for awesome SQ. In a component set, each speaker has a set of designated frequencies that it plays. Tweeters only receive high frequencies, and woofers only receive the mids and lows. That way there is no distortion and overlap from speakers playing frequencies that are out of their reproduction range.

Give me a price range and I'll give you some suggestions.

My home stereo is component based, so and I know it is a good way to go. The debate was that in our legacies, the tweeter locations were such that they sound far too bright than they should be. I've read threads where people angled the tweeters forward in order to fix this. I think 'msmith' from JL tried both component and coax and later stated that coax sounded much better in the vehicle.

again, i'm no audio-junkie so I'm very open to other suggestions. You have any suggestions for the $60 - $75 range, like the speakers I posted above?

Thanks again

I actually found the stock location mellows the tweets a bit compared to my truck. They're buried pretty far into the door panel.

The best suggestion I have is amp whatever comps you get. The stock HU puts out a whopping 8w RMS per channel. No comps are going to sound good with that little power.

These comps are a steal but will definitely require spacer rings to fit them:http://www.cadencestore.com/ProductCart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=126&idproduct=194

never heard of that company before. they pretty good? 100RMS is a lot more than what I was looking for. Getting an AMP was kind of a pain too. I have stereo system with subs hooked up in my other car but i'm kind of lazy to do it again for this car. Was hoping to just replace the speakers...

whats the best you can do for the minimum amount of work?

You could try finding some VERY efficient coaxs but if you have an aftermarket system in you're other car you're probably not gong to be happy. The factory unit is just too weak. Factory speakers are rated at 30w MAX, most comps want at least that much rms.

Since you have a 2.5i and not a GT installing a new head unit is fairly easy and would be the single best upgrade. I had to do the cubby installation in my wife's GT and I'm glad I did.

Yes, Cadence is a good company. They just recently started allowing online sales so they're giving some amazing deals direct from the manufacturer with a 1 or 2 year warranty on some products and excellent customer service.

Just to chime in, I installed speakers in my Legacy with stock radio a year ago. I put in Boston Z6's (front) and Boston Pro6's (rear). I'll be doing amps in a couple of weeks. In the year or so that I've used the stock radio, there is not a lack of power to run the Z's, which are considdered a power hungry speaker.

The top end volume on the radio isn't as loud, however, the stock speakers were distorting to crap at the max volume anyway, to which the Z's are clean.

I find that my stereo is loud around 15-20 out of 40 on the volume knob with the Z's. YMMV with the speakers you're looking at, but if you want a sound upgrade, don't let power get in the way of a speaker upgrade. Unless the speaker is something exotic that is insanely inefficient, the stock radio's ~10w or so is more than adaquate for everyday listening. More importantly, the speakers sound quite good in the car.

Now, would an amp be better? probably. However, the Alpine PXE-H650 I'm installing matters more than the amp, as equalization is a bigger issue.

i have those speakers...

the alpine sps-17c2.

i currently have it mated to a pioneer deh-p7800 hu. so i can only tell you my experiences from the stock speakers vs. the alpines.

considering they're not components.. they're very good in the sound quality and having the directional tweeter is also a nice complement. needless to say the factory tweeters arent even heard in the car anymore, i just leave them plugged in for shits and giggles.

-- yay for the sig! --

my garage!

Not go OT but ean611, I have Z's as well. Were you able to install them with the tweeter mounted coaxily with the plate? I tried it on my and there is no way as it just sticks out to far.

Speakers are hard to recommend since what sounds good is very subjective. I have the Z's as well as a pair of Diamond Hex S600's, both sound very different yet both sound good IMO.

thanks for all the constructive feedback. The 2.5i is actually my wife's primary car and she is only looking for daily listening, nothing exotic. We were hoping to keep the stock head unit as we like the appearance of the dash as is. Although we are not big music listeners, the OEM speakers really are crap. I'll give these alpines a shot, or maybe the Boston Z6's (as there are a couple who've already tried these with success).

Now, how hard is it to remove that door panel? My audi was a pia...

roybfr, I wanted the Z's coax, but that woulkdn't fit. I used the stock tweeter location. The one thing was that I had to do the -2dB cut for the tweeter in that location so they weren't too bright.

SolidFish: the stock radio isn't terrible, it's actually quite ok. Doing any of the speaker upgrades should be a huge boost. I love my Z's but keep in mind, they retail for around 1k. I got mine for ~280 on clearance. I would have also considdered the Diamond Hex's, as they're cheaper. Also, Focal makes some good speakers.

Hi, i am new here, but not to car audio. I have the alp spx componets in the back doors of my legacy and a set of ADS componets in the front with an alpine pdx series amp powering them. To my ears the alpines are a bit harsh on the highs (I had these in the front doors of my mazda before) and I like the balanced sound of my old ADS's better. With all of that being said and you are not adding an amp and want an easy install, I would suggest that you go to your local car stereo shop (or even best buy or circuit) and listen to a few sets speakers on radio power (do not let the salesperson use an amp on them) until you find 2 or 3 that you like. Since you are not wanting to do componets then a more lively tweeter would not be a bad thing sine it will be at floor level. The doors on a legacy are not the deepest, so keep this in mind while shoping and try to find shallow mount speaker with sound you will be happy with and an easy install. I also have a 93 leg wagon with 418,000 miles on it. I put in a set of kicker shallow mounts in the front doors and an alpine headunit for the first 6 months. This made for decent sound for minimum $$ and effort. I later put those speakers in the back for rear fill and added a sup and better front spks with spacer rings in the doors. Whatever you do make sure that the speakers sound good to you, as you will be the one listening to them daily.

Archived