LegacyGT.com

'08 auto WRX ... What a piece of Sh*^

I dont agree that the 5eat is awful. It's not the best auto out there, but I don't really have any major complaints.

The 4EAT on the other hand :hide:

completely agree

I love my 5EAT. I also enjoy 6MT. My 08 STI will be here in a couple weeks and though I'm looking forward to having it, I will miss my 5EAT LGT. In fact, I wish I could just replace the tranny with an IPT built 5EAT into the new STI. Yes, I actually love it THAT much for some strange reason.

However, I've driven the 4EAT and well, it does suck donkey balls. I would never buy one, it can't even come close to comparing it to my 5EAT.

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

I agree that if i'm going to buy a 08 WRX it would be the 5spd for sure. However even Subaru's 5spd's are terrible, even with the STi s/s. One of the weakest links in the Subaru lineup.

Any manual Subaru calls out for a B&M or Kartboy!

What don't you like about it?

One thing to remember, AFAIK, it is a direct linkage between the shifter and the gearbox unlike other cars that have a series of cables and pullies that dampen the shift because the transmission is stuffed between the engine and the wheel in front of the driver's food..

The throws are too long. It is rubbery and inaccurate. And the gates are notchy. Nothing the aftermarket can't fix though. A B&M or Kartboy would probably put everything right.

ps: Driver's shouldn't have food in the car!:p

To be fair even the s/s in my STi is pretty poor. It does have shorter throws and is a little more accurate but I still find it notchy, and it is far from perfect.

If you have ever driven a S2000, RX8 or any Porsche you should know just how good a 6spd can be.

I just think it is a weakness of Subaru. Not a big deal. It wouldn't ever stop me buying a Subie. And I would still take the 5spd over the 4EAT anyday of the week.

all i know is that every car ive ever driven, on every message board for every car ive owned, not one person has liked a cars transmission. whether its 5mt or an auto. is there a transmission that anyone actually likes?

sschmelcke,

Quick question for you:

How is the OBXT with Stage 1 and the 5EAT tranny? How is the TQ curve and power delivery? Did going Stage 1 make a big difference?

I would love to hear your feedback. Thx!

sschmelcke,

Quick question for you:

How is the OBXT with Stage 1 and the 5EAT tranny? How is the TQ curve and power delivery? Did going Stage 1 make a big difference?

I would love to hear your feedback. Thx!

its a fun dd ride. i feel its how the car should have felt from the factory. boost comes on 4-500 rpms sooner, seems last closer to redline. less kick in the pants feeling but the speedo climbs much faster. the tranny still shifts the same way it did at stage 1. seems to handle the extra power well. i should be going stage 2 shortly so we will see how long the tranny holds up then.

Archived