LegacyGT.com

Installing a Garmin Nuvi in the cubby & keep door.

1 - Remove cubby by using plastic tools or flat head screwdriver wrapped in a towel. Start by gently prying the entire cubby and vents piece out of the dash.

2 - Remove the door from the cubby.

3 - Dremel the top of the cubby to match the 1st picture.

4 - When you shut the door, the top of the door will bang the GPS. So you must dremel the inner lining of the door. The door has two shells. Dremel the inner shell to match the 2nd picture. Just enough so when the door is open, it does not bang the GPS.

5 - Get a plastic bag and squeeze it into a tiny ball. Wrap that ball in electrical tape and tape it between the GPS body and it's antenna. This way the antenna will not shut by accident.

6 - Dremel the bottom of the cubby to match this 3rd picture. You need the GPS to flex down a little when you open the door, so apply a couple of layers of electrical tape to the bottom and create a "nest" for the GPS to sit into.

7 - Now, if you close the door and try to open it, it will not open all of the way. You need to tug it forward with a tiny bit of pressure. Use your finger to tap it forward a little. (pic 4) (Don't mind the bracelet, i'll explain later :lol:)

8 - Route your power wire to your power source (I used the cigarette liter) and enjoy! The GPS will come on when the car is on and go off when the car is off (unless you select "run on battery" when you shut the car off).

Problems? Question? Post here; I'll try my best to explain.

DSC_0026.jpg.f45e92a8ad9bf574baaf0b5773c82119.jpg

DSC_0027.jpg.10b2a289bd68d8cbc08c4ad9cbccae70.jpg

DSC_0031.jpg.4ae9779c9db8e1ca183bcac8782a65ba.jpg

DSC_0033.jpg.18e3d9f3487c2a52884fdb8358e6a281.jpg

DSC_0035.jpg.2113399cd763a65f9e81ceae69d03e94.jpg

enough zip ties and duct tape will fix anything.

So what's the story with the bracelet ? :lol:

Seriously speaking though, did you notice any signal loss ?

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 249K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 272K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

Kind of the same thing I'm wanting to do.

Do you have any pictures of your wiring job? Does Garmin have a hardwire kit for the Nuvi? Is the GPS easy to get out of there or is it semi-permanent?

I actually just popped out the cigarette lighter bung and used that with the garmin cigarette lighter adapter. I didn't solder it in yet because I didn't know if I would like it.

If you pop the cubby out with plastic tools or a screwdriver you can take the GPS out, but I wouldn't consider this install to be a "portable" solution. I would say it's semi-permanent.

So what's the story with the bracelet ? :lol:

Seriously speaking though, did you notice any signal loss ?

I noticed NO signal loss. The GPS seems to find the satellites quicker now--I think this is because it is stationary and steady in one spot.

enough zip ties and duct tape will fix anything.

Archived